Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-29-2004, 09:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should I buy my lights for future reef or for the now?

I'm going to be setting up my 29g this week, my live rock from liverocks should be here by the beginning of the week. My hope is to get into reefing (soft corals). Should I buy lights for the future reef I hope to have? If so, will this hurt my live rock or actually help it out. (I'm sorry if that was a silly question) but I'm nervous with anticipation.

M

Old 02-29-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your live rocks need more than standard lighting.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:46 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
IMO, there is no need to spend money twice...get the lights you'll need now for the reef you want to have. For a 29 with softies only, I would recommend two 65w PC bulbs. One 10k and one actinic 03. You should have enough light there to keep soft corals, zoanthids, shrooms, ect... One of the PC hoods with moonlights would do a great job if you don't have a canopy. If you do, I'd look into a PC retro kit...you can always add moonlight later if you decide you want it.
You may get some photosynthetic inverts on the LR that will benefit from the lights right away.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Someone suggested going through ahsupply, is that a good idea? Or can I find the same matrials somewhere else for less?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Post what kind of lights that you're looking for. Someone may be able to help you find the lowest price. Most of us that have purchased items online have done an extensive search prior to buying anything.

Jim
Old 03-01-2004, 09:50 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
If you have a canopy, AH Supply is definitely a good place to look for a retro kit. If you don't have a canopy, I believe they also sell unfinished enclosures. If you'd rather have the look of a strip light, Currents USA is importing some PC fixtures that I think would work well on a 29gal.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking 2 55w PC bulbs and then two actinic. But I'm thinking that is the wrong combo for my tank...I don't have a canopy for my tank. All I have is the hood that came standard in my tank. I would prefer to have something that looks similar to that if possible (which I doubt).
Old 03-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #8

Take a look a the coralife aqualights.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Which coralife aqualight would you suggest? Would the Aqualight Retrofit Kit (LT-ES53202) be what I am looking for? I bought a canopy that should be here on Wednesday. So far with the lights I have my LR is doing very well, but I can only imagine how it would be doing if I had the right lights.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
I agree with the others dont spend money twice, I did. Get the lighting that you want for your future reef.

P.S. Mrs Peel, Iv'e had a crush on you for over 30 years now

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com