Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I also have a refugium, should I do anything to it to take away all the nutrients from the nuisance algae? Maybe get rid of some, add some or just leave it?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just leave it, what you have should be pulling nitrates sufficiently. If anything, maybe consider a phosphate removing pad (temporary), or a GFO reactor (long-term).

Old 06-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
I would just leave it, what you have should be pulling nitrates sufficiently. If anything, maybe consider a phosphate removing pad (temporary), or a GFO reactor (long-term).
Sorry Flreefer! If i would've noticed it was you I wouldn't have save said I have a refugium but you changed your pic an I didn't take the time to look! How much are GFO reactors? I'm saving up for my first car right now and its killing me just buying water for the PWC'S each week!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, thought it was time for a change! Reactor, the GFO medium, and the pump to run it, would probably run you about $150-180 total. But until you could swing it, just a phosphate pad put in the stream of intake water to your sump, would help reduce phosphates for now. They don't work that well, but it would help. The phos pads are like $10-12, and you can cut if to fit.
I'm in need of a GFO myself, and I cut the pad in 2. One piece lasts about 3-4 weeks, so almost 2 months with both pieces. Not the best scenario, but it has to help. Money's tight for me too!!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Yeah, thought it was time for a change! Reactor, the GFO medium, and the pump to run it, would probably run you about $150-180 total. But until you could swing it, just a phosphate pad put in the stream of intake water to your sump, would help reduce phosphates for now. They don't work that well, but it would help. The phos pads are like $10-12, and you can cut if to fit.
I'm in need of a GFO myself, and I cut the pad in 2. One piece lasts about 3-4 weeks, so almost 2 months with both pieces. Not the best scenario, but it has to help. Money's tight for me too!!
Yeah! Hard to do In a reef aquarium! my lfs tested and said no phosphates, I just started using RO water for top offs instead of tap with dechrolinator so that's probably where the algae is coming from! I get my check next Friday and it's so tempting to go buy the flame angel my lfs has!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's always a hard choice. What you want, and what you need!! If your getting algae, you've got phosphates, it's just not detectable because the algae is using it.
Get an Alk test kit. And something to reduce phosphates. Another introduction, will only make the problem worse. It's always best to do what's best for your tanks health, not its aesthetics. When your done with what the tank needs, then you get a free pass, well not free, to get what you want!!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can set up a reactor with gfo for a lot less than $150-$180. Phosban reactor $39, pump $25, gfo $25
Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

So $100 plus shipping, if applicable. Sorry, was thinking of what it would cost me, as I would need a bigger reactor, and would prefer to be more cost effective, and buy the GFO in more bulk than $25 worth.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's still about 90 dollars without tax, I can't do that right now, I'm less than 3 mints away from getting my license and I have 600 dollars saved up for a car right now! I gotta stock away all I can!
Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Water changes are the best way to deal with any problems! I would say wait on the new fish and cure the algae first. Time is always of the essence.

Tags
change, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com