Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should I do anything to a coral before I put it in my tank?

Should I do anything to a coral before I put it in my tank?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would recommend a good coral dip like CoralRX. I never did it until I bought an acro coral with a gorilla crab. It made me realize the potential for unwelcome nasties.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

And what should I do just dip it in a separate tank with coralrx for 10-15 min
Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't need another tank, just a small container with the stuff and dip for about 10 minutes, then rinse in another container of clean salt water. Then just place in the tank. If possible, put a powerhead in the coralRX dip container otherwise you'll have the shake the coral for a long time.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thanx a lot man
Old 03-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I never dipped any corals before placing them into my tank. Some more sensetive ones I would drip acclimate them for an hour. Even after doing this, things for the most part were fine until recently. I have a coral that came in with a nudibranch and aiptasia. CoralRX won't solve the aiptasia, but the nudibranch was picking at my coral and would have been removed with a coral dip. It looked exactly like the coral and I didn't notice it until a week later.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have dipped 50% of the time until recently when I had two tanks come down with flatworms. The 20g was a real pain to get rid of them, took weeks of treatments. The 125g luckily I caught in time so one treatment got rid of those.

I use coralrx as well. I use a separate little bucket to dip them in. About 10 minutes or so, I swirl the coral a bit too and then I have a container of tank water which I use to rinse off the coral. Then it goes in the tank.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Woww I didn't know none of this info thanks a lot guys from no on I will be doing a pre dip and a rinse then in my tank for corals I don't want anything happening, I remember when my freshwater fish caught ick it was a pain to remove.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I had freshwater tanks for a decade. I was never successful in curing ick. I had a fish survive almost 2 years after falling down a garbage disposal and all kinds of other injuries...just never could solve ick.

I've saved one of the two clownfish in my tank that had ich, so I count that as a victory. The parasites for saltwater are a totally different world than fresh, if you would have asked me years ago if I'd be battling glass nems and white and blue slugs that are eating the live decorations...I'd have laughed. Atleast it isn't as bad to handle as freshwater issues.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I swear I cured ick on my freshwater tank, I bought the big bottle of ich attack from kordons but I bought the herbal formula and I put in 5-10 ml a day in the tank and do 20% water changes every two days and I finally cured it, 4 Tetras died but i didn't know it was ich killing them I thought it was my water or something else then I saw it was white spots on every fish but thank god I cured it

Tags
coral, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com