Should I feed my clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pokmijn

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok so after i few hours of research ive been getting mixed answer some says i have to feed if they are under 3" and some say i dont have to feed anything as long as i have good light and water.

well mine is just 2" and i would like to know do i need to feed?
If yes i will buy some tomorrow after works as it may be starving its already been in my tank for three days now.
If no then good save me money for something else.

LMK thanks

oh yeah i was told its a corcea

I`m not sure about that type. I just know I had a squamosa that lived almost 4 yrs and a Derasa that I have now and I never target fed them Just decent lighting and the water column.

I`m not sure about that type. I just know I had a squamosa that lived almost 4 yrs and a Derasa that I have now and I never target fed them Just decent lighting and the water column.

how big was yours when you got it

i just found an article on here showing studies that small clam dont required feeding but i want personal experience on this one.

anyone?

I have read that below 2 to 3 inches you need to feed rotifers. This is because they are not photosynthetic yet. So I think the clam feast or rotifers would be great for a while.

My Derasa was about 2 inches and have had it maybe a yr and no problems so far. If you feel you need to feed some DT`s Phytoplankton might work.

Yes to supplemental feeding of phytoplankton when it's under 3". At 2-1/2" - 3" they are big enough to get all the food they need from god strong light. Smaller than that they need some extra. It's best to remove the clam from the tank (in a container) for this feeding, once or twice a week. Add some phyto and leave the clam alone for 15 - 20 minutes or so to feed. Dump the container water and place the clam back in the tank.

If the clam is attached to a rock, feeding goes to plan B. Cut the bottom of a 2 liter plastic bottle and clean it thoroughly. Place the bottle over the clam and feed the phyto from the top. Turn off all circulation first so the phyto doesn't go everywhere. Keep the bottle in place for 15 minutes, remove it and turn the circulation back on. Method 2 requires extra skimmng to help rid the tank of the excess nutrients.

Well im gonna try without feeding but will keep a close eye on the clam.
My clams been opening up fine and still looks healthy but time will tell.

Liveaquaria.com says you do not need to feed if clam is over 2 inches.

thats what im trying to figure out if its true or not. There's been many article saying its just a myth and that you dont need to feed at any size just good light and water.

Tanks for the article link Jim. I know I have enough light and enough fish, so I think I'll grab a small clam later this week to add to my tank.

The article does have the caveat of having enough light though, so the answer to supplemental feeding for clams under 3" is now "IT DEPENDS".

that's a myth that they need target feeding. i've kept 1" clams until they were 2" and they did just fine. i never added anything to the water. these were maximas and croceas.

Back
Top Bottom