Should I get rid of my Horeshoe Crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was reading in one of the forums that horseshoe crabs eat the stuff in your sand and then they slowly die :( Can't i feed them something so this doesn't happen or do I need to give the "lil" guy back to the LFS?

Thanks,
Joey[/b]

It may or may not take to an alternate diet, but the big concern is size. These critters get to over 24" in diameter excluding the tail. That combined with having a dead sandbed...I would return it.

Wow!! It is also in my other tank that is only 29 gallons the only other thing in there is a sea urchin. That thing ate all my rock!! He must have been hungry!! I don't know what to do with that tank!! So i may just keep it as a quarentine tank for my big one? But thats not any fun!!!!

Thanks for reply,
Joey

Yes, I would return it. I made the mistake of getting one for my 30 gal tank and ended up taking it back the same day after I talked to some folks on here.From what i was told, it will destroy your DSB in its search for food.

Back
Top Bottom