Originally Posted by timbo2
They do however say it is a nuisance algae and must be siphoned off and check the excess nutrients and phosphate level...
Absolutely...bad stuff...go away! I have noticed in some of the tanks I've fooled with that the stuff doesn't like good water flow at all. I'd scrape it off, siphon it out, and try to direct some flow at the spots where it wants to grow. Also, as mentioned above, check nitrates and phosphates. You can beat this stuff...try not to let it get a good start or it will try to cover the whole tank. Although antibiotics will kill it, I wouldn't recommend that as they will harm the beneficial bacteria and it's only treating the symptom...not the cause. Fishfreek beat this stuff and can probably give you some really good advice on getting rid of it.