Should I let this algae continue to grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the red algae on top looks like cyno. you don't want to let it go. to get rid of it i have had success with adding more flow to that area and adding more actinic lighting. i think it comes from too much excess nutrients in low flow areas. somebody help me on that though

I have heard that low flow seems to promote this however, I have not seen this in any of the publications I've read.. They do however say it is a nuisance algae and must be siphoned off and check the excess nutrients and phosphate level...

timbo2 said:
They do however say it is a nuisance algae and must be siphoned off and check the excess nutrients and phosphate level...

Absolutely...bad stuff...go away! I have noticed in some of the tanks I've fooled with that the stuff doesn't like good water flow at all. I'd scrape it off, siphon it out, and try to direct some flow at the spots where it wants to grow. Also, as mentioned above, check nitrates and phosphates. You can beat this stuff...try not to let it get a good start or it will try to cover the whole tank. Although antibiotics will kill it, I wouldn't recommend that as they will harm the beneficial bacteria and it's only treating the symptom...not the cause. Fishfreek beat this stuff and can probably give you some really good advice on getting rid of it.
Logan J

in my tank it was covering large amounts of the sandbed. it can get nasty and it gets really thick. when i first started getting it i siphoned it out and it kept coming back. so someone suggested adding actinic to my tank because i had none. this kept it at bay or to a very slow growth rate. then i increased the flow a few days later and within a week it was all gone. so i don't know for sure which of the two did it but those were the only two things i changed. my feeding and dosing where exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom