Should I? "Lighting"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnaugh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have bought a power compact four bulb system with the four led lights after being told by a nearby lfs that it would handle anything. Later, I was told by MY lfs that it was a mistake, a $480 mistake. I was advised by some here to look at LEDs. I have, a lot. Today while again in MY lfs I'm telling the owner and he says, "if you want to be able to keep anything, I have something I'll give you". He then comes out with a 1000 watt metal halide. This thing lit up the whole store! Then he explained about the retrofit and use of fans etc... He GIVES me the light saying he doesn't need it anymore. What are your thoughts? Should I use this light or continue shopping?

A 1000 watt metal halide. Jeez, you'll be able to boil pasta if you were to put that over your tank.

Well.. if you want to blind fish then you're good! :) That sounds like a lot, how deep of a tank is this going over? Also, what fixture was the pc setup you got?

I just researched it, and that type of metal halide is used for parking lot lights. LOL

A 1000 watt metal halide. Jeez, you'll be able to boil pasta if you were to put that over your tank.

That's exactly what I thought! I still took it though, I never turn down anything free!

hot5detail4.png

The re-designed Compact Fluorescent Lunar Aqualights with directional LEDs can be used for reef, saltwater, and freshwater planted aquariums. Compact fluorescent lamps provide higher intensity light output compared with traditional T8 lamps and have become a staple in aquarium lighting applications. The LEDs can be positioned to add a shimmering moonlight accent over a specific area in your tank or the LEDs can be set to provide a more even distribution of moonlight.
  • Includes 10,000K and Actinic lamps
  • Directional Moonlight LEDs (30" fixture includes 2 LEDs and 48" fixture includes 4 LEDs)
  • Separate power cords for individual control of daylight, actinic and LED lights
  • Quick disconnect ballasts and cooling fan
  • Adjustable mounting brackets included
  • Powder-coated aluminum housing and acrylic splash guard
This is the light system I got. It is going over a 75 gallon tank.

There's 4 bulbs in that correct? If so, you should be able to grow quite a lot with that fixture. Maybe not the higher light requirement SPS but it won't burn your corals like that halide probably will. When corals get too much light their growth slows down considerably, I would be wary of using the halide.

I took the halide out in the back yard tonight and turned it on! There is no way I'm putting that over my tank. I an already looking for a mounting spot outside!

The owner of the lfs that I bought them from swore by them. I'm going to try them. I have too much invested in them not too!

I took the halide out in the back yard tonight and turned it on! There is no way I'm putting that over my tank. I an already looking for a mounting spot outside!

The owner of the lfs that I bought them from swore by them. I'm going to try them. I have too much invested in them not too!

Think of it this way, You could get a small swimming pool and make it into a huge frag tank with that light! :D

There's 4 bulbs in that correct? If so, you should be able to grow quite a lot with that fixture. Maybe not the higher light requirement SPS but it won't burn your corals like that halide probably will. When corals get too much light their growth slows down considerably, I would be wary of using the halide.

Yes, four bulbs and four lunar LEDs.

I know you arent going to, but imagine the temp issues youd have running that. My microwave at home doesnt use 1,000 watts.... For that fact, im prob just over 1,000w of total power consumption in regards to my 125

Not to mention that a store owner gave you this... Had it been someone without the sense to question this, that store owner woulda killed someones entire tank by giving that bulb away

Back
Top Bottom