Should I make some changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rafecci

Aquarium Advice Activist
I upgraded my light system from a standard tank lighting to a Lunar Aqualight (96w Actinic 03 blue, 96w Daylight, lunar blue-moon-glow). I would like some opinions of whether to move what coral I have growing. All were doing, what I thought, well with the other light. I just would like to advance with more corals and needed the upgrade.

Its a 46g bow-front and here is what I have growing.

Zoanthids (on floor of tank)
Xenia (top 1/4 of tank)
Brown Smooth mushroom (at 1/2 point in tank)
Star polyps (top 1/4 of tank)
(the Xenia is on the same rock at the star polyps, the xenia was an unknown benifit that showed up after I had the star polyps for a few days)

I also have a BTA but will assume she will move where she is happy. (currently she moved just a bit to the east where she is resting directly under the center support of the tank top) almost like she was looking for a bit of shade.

Thought I would add a pic or two - just to make sure I have my identafication right

Attachments

• Zoanthids01.jpg
    Zoanthids01.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 299
  • mushroom03.jpg
    mushroom03.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_3315.jpg
    100_3315.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 74
Whaddya mean by "standard light"? Flourescents? How long has the new light been on. By now I'd think the corals would have already reacted if they didn't adapt tothe new light. A general rule when there is a big change or corals react is to lower them and movethem higher over days or weeks to let them adjust.

I have a 46g bow with the exact same fixture Kurt_Nelson has the same size tank and fixture as well. Pretty much most Corals should do OK except SPS corals and anemone's are taking a chance. The Clarity of the pictures is great How new is the tank?? I have what you have pictures of but I am not quite as good of a photographer. If I could do it all over again I would have spent the extra $200 and got a more intense fixture. I always second guess how anything will do with the medium lighting that fixture provides.

The old light was the standard 20w florecent light. I up graded to the higher watt. The light has only been upgraded for a few days. My concern was do I need to move things around before they start screaming they are getting to much light? Things where growing well, so I didn't know if I should move them down since I got the higher watt light. The system has been up and running for 6 months, I moved everything over to the 46 bow about 2 months ago. Everything is beautiful and I try to be proactive with my tank.

I would also think that for the corals you have your lighting should be fine. I think what you are calling zoas are really palythoa, which are very closely related to zoas (basically the same thing but generally larger polyps). The ones you have are very nice.

I would also think that for the corals you have your lighting should be fine. I think what you are calling zoas are really palythoa, which are very closely related to zoas (basically the same thing but generally larger polyps). The ones you have are very nice.

Thank you for the compliment.:D Sounds like I'm on the right path.

Back
Top Bottom