Should I reinforce my floor joists for a 180 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulPaul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 60 year old house and was wondering if I should reinforce my joists that are now 2x6's that are about 8-10 inches apart also with hardwood floors with carpet over them. I think I might do it just in case.

60 Years old probably mean that your 2x6's are true 2x6's and at 8-10 inch centers thats a lot better than most of todays standards which are 12-16 inch centers. What is the span length of the 2x6 joists??

ok, I went to the basement and measured. I was wrong about the 8-10 inch centers. The joists are 1 5/8 x 7 1/4. They are 14 inch centers and 14 foot span.

It probably wouldn't hurt to do some reinforcing. Just imagine water at 8 lbs a gallon x 180 gallons = 1440 lbs + sand + LR + stand and equipment you could easily exceed 2000 lbs. thats over 175 lbs per square foot which is alot of weight.

this suggestion comes from what i was going to do in my crawlspace, so it may not work in your basement especially if it is finished. Anyways, i was going to buy some of those jacks that you can find at a hardware store that are supposed to raise sagging joists. supposedly they can lift several tons of weight and if you were to use 2 or 3 of them then you'd probably be able to park a car in there without a problem!

I figure its better to be safe than sorry, that could make a bit of a mess if things went wrong! :)

I would do it as a precaution but it would likely never happen (going through the floor) since its able to hold a lot of weight and is probably holding thousands of pounds that you might not have already considered with no problem. But its better safe than to be sorry.

its got 2 jacks already in another spot so Im gonna put a couple jacks under where the tank will be and put a couple more joists in ...later im gonna buy a rubbermaid 150 gal tub and put down in the basement cause its nice n cool down there :)

Back
Top Bottom