Should I start with Frags?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK..so I've got new T5 lighting and a major diatom bloom... Once I sort all that out I will begin planning for Coral additions.

As I will be doing this for the 1st time, I'll prob go with Frags at first so IF I have water issues, I wont be hurting Expensive corals.

My question is, In a healthy system, how long can one expect a Coral Frag to grow into a nice size?

Example : I def want to add a few Zoo's to start when I'm ready. I love all the different colors available.

I started with some mushrooms... cheap (about 35 dollars for a developed piece) hardy and decent looking.

ive got a couple Zoas that came on the rock as well and i havent noticed a real big change in size.. a couple little ones have spread. but the mushrooms have already made 2-3 more each

-Brad

o ya mines been running since christmas

Hey Goisles,

Go with the easy one first I think should be okay. I only got a tiny frag of ricordia lavender mushroom and it's already growing within 2 weeks, not spreading like crazy, but blooming well :). I think Joey's wife Jill also got nice corals right away and hers are doing pretty well too, just get the easy keeping one first to start with :) Doesn't have to be a frag, a regular one is alright.

This is a zoa frag i picked up for about 20 bucks at a frag conference. Took the picture may 2008.
img_946105_0_233c5425010a264225471289b57ecb5e.jpg

This is a current picture taken december 08. real bad picture though. Many of them are closed up.
img_946105_1_0dcb75565e77d615b0e98ca3946133eb.jpg

That should give you an idea of the time it takes to grow. I have other zoas that have actually been growing a bit faster then these as well. It all depends on the frag and your tank conditions and such.

Back
Top Bottom