Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Should I switch to new Filter?

Hello all,
I have been considering getting a new power filter for my tank. Right now I have an AquaClear 50 filter. The other day, the thing screwed up and pumped out 6gallons of water all over my carpet and caused leaking to the neighbors below me. The landlord was called and all...Very stressful to deal with right before engineering midterms! Now I only let it run when I am around to watch it.

My tank is a 20gallon. I have live rock, coral, and fish+inverts. I was looking at the Fluval canister filters. Would this be worth investing in? If so, which one? I am thinking the 205 would be fine.

Is it worth the money? Could I get feedback on these filters?
Thanks!
Matt

Old 10-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I love the fluval canisters... i have a 305 and a 405... id say you would be fine with a 205... They are super easy to set up, clean, and use... and they do a very good job. the bio-rings and sponges keep my tank super clean... check craigslist and ebay before buying from a store. rena xp filters are "supposedly" good too. ive never used one, but everybody on here that have them, love them. Either way, i like canisters better than hob's....

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Thanks for the reply! I won a new Fluval 305 on ebay for 83$. Should be here in a week. I looked it up on youtube and it looks extremely easy to use. Seems a 305 is big for my tank, but it was a good price!:p

Matt
Old 10-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

that filter will be fine... thats a good price too... they are so simple... they have a valve and a latch... the hoses are on a connecter, you sit it on the filter, snap the latch down, open the valve, prime it (unless you already had water in it, then you just have to open the valve and let it fill with water), turn it on, and watch it clean lol... also a side note, they are super quiet.. i can put my ear down to it and barely hear it humming

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, new filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com