Should I target feed corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Purple Ribbon Gorgonian (Gorgonia spp.)
Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Peaceful Lighting: Moderate to High Waterflow: Strong Placement: All Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4 Color Form: Black, Green, Orange, Purple, Tan, Yellow Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Iodine, Trace Elements Origin: Caribbean Family: Gorgoniidae

K thanks you have been much help it seems to me I get several different opinions on feeding them I just want to make sure Im doing it right

Mr. X's words of wisdom are golden to alot of members here. I think of him as the god of saltwater keeping

He hasn't been on in forever....I miss him..:-(

But yep, you'll get different opinions from diff people. I don't have any corals that i have to target feed like sun polys yet so I just let my pwc's do the feeding and lots of good flow. :)

I've never target fed a coral and mine seem very happy. :-D

How much does a water change do for them I add top off water at least twice a week and do water water changes weekly?

So basically the top off water does them no good because it has no salt Right? But doing weekly pwc is replacing any trace elements that might be depleted

Most of the gorgonians grow in deep water and are not photosynthetic. They are filter feeders. As a result, they are kind of challenging to keep. There are loads of posts as to what and how to feed them. I like the oyster preparations that are available, but I would certainly spot feed them as these preparations can foul the water if not used sparingly. Not a good coral to start with unfortunately. They are beautiful, so many folks give them a shot. Best of luck to you!

And yes, your water changes (with salt) should cover all your trace elements. You might try vitamins and enzymes like Reef Complete and be sure your calcium levels are up to par.

Yep, you're pwcs replace whats depleted, why its so important in a reef tank.
The top offs just keep the water level and salinity level in balance.

Knock on wood (Knock Knock) they both seem to be doing ok Both are out every day I have had one about a month and a half and one about 2 weeks

Top off water replaces and keeps your salt level stable as salt does not evaporate with the water.

carey said:
Yep, you're pwcs replace whats depleted, why its so important in a reef tank.
The top offs just keep the water level and salinity level in balance.

Didn't see this, lol

Back
Top Bottom