Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Should I try more cleaner shrimp?

When I first started up my 125g I had 2 cleaner shrimp and 3 peppermint shrimp. I shortly got another 3 cleaners. So I had five in all. Up to when I added the second ones the cleaners were fine. Soon after I began loosing cleaner shrimp. I would find them dead and pretty much cleaved in half. After the last one was killed the peppermints started dropping off too, though I never did find their bodies, but they are gone.

I had vowed not to add cleaners again but now that reefs2go is having a special on them, like half price, I was contemplating it.

The list of potential murderers is a pistol shrimp that I have only seen twice since I put him in but I know he's still there cause of the snapping lol, a yellow tang and a pink spotted watchman goby. None of the other fish were in the tank when the shrimp died other than clowns but I have discounted them as the killers.

Do you think it's worth it to add any more or am I just condemning the shrimp to a certain death? I forgot to mention I now have a single coral banded shrimp in the tank, didn't when the shrimp all died off though. Any one have shrimp issues between cleaners and any of the fish I have? Or any coral shrimp vs cleaner shrimp warnings?

thanks everybody!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could have a hitch hiker?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've been through that tank so many times it's not even funny. I really only started out with 30lbs of live rock actually and it was only a few pieces. I've been seeding ALL my other rock from base rock. Wouldn't I have run across a mantis by now?

I was also thinking, how many could I put in a 29g cube and how many in a 20rimless? I have on in the cube already and 3 peppermints. I have only 2 tiny peppermints in the 20g.
Any suggestions?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm courous about how many shrimp in a cube.

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I was thinking adding one to the cube to total 2 cleaners 3 perppemints and adding 2 to my 20g for a total of 4 shrimp in there. As far as the 125g i would like to get say 4 of them at least but not if they will get killed off. I've since added quite alot of fish, maybe the shrimp killer won't resurface?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I was thinking adding one to the cube to total 2 cleaners 3 perppemints and adding 2 to my 20g for a total of 4 shrimp in there. As far as the 125g i would like to get say 4 of them at least but not if they will get killed off. I've since added quite alot of fish, maybe the shrimp killer won't resurface?
I bet it's the pistol. I saw a video the other day of one killing a peppermint. It was crazy!

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard that Coral Bandeds will kill Cleaner Shrimp.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm getting 2 fire shrimp and 1 cleaner shrimp for my 29 Biocube. You could probably add more than that, like a total of 4 - 5.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

why did you add the pistol? Its well known to kill anything it can especially other shrimp. I have also heard coral banded shrimp will kill new shrimp introductions.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04
why did you add the pistol? Its well known to kill anything it can especially other shrimp. I have also heard coral banded shrimp will kill new shrimp introductions.
Maybe I lucked out and got a "peaceful" Randalli pistol shrimp. From my understanding they will only kill other shrimp. I have a dartfish and a clown gobie that sleep in the rock and have had no problems. Now a coral banded shrimp is another story!

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaner shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com