Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should I upgrade my lighting system?

Hey experts, thought I would get some input from you so I can figure out if I should upgade my lighting system. My tank is a 40 gal. long, measurements are 48in long x 13in wide x 16in tall, and the light is about 19 inches from the sand bed. My question is would this... http://www.windowtothesea.com/displa...t=196&item=994 ...work on my tank, or would it be overkill?

TIA,
Brandon

Old 02-15-2005, 09:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are not overkill and they will be fine for your tank. I had a 175 watt MH over my 20 gal + 2 VHOs

You can never have too much light unless you are keeping shrooms. Shrooms will live in high light, but they a have to be acclimated. What type of coral are you looking at keeping. Zoos and softies?

Old 02-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, that's mainly what I'll be keeping. And thank you for your input, this is great news, I really want to get that lighting system!

One more question. say I wanted to keep some shrooms, could I hide them under a ledge where the light is not SO bright? Or is there be another way to do it?

And thanks again!
Old 02-15-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
One more question. say I wanted to keep some shrooms, could I hide them under a ledge where the light is not SO bright? Or is there be another way to do it?
Sure. You can put them in a more shaded area and be just fine. That light is also a good choice for your tank. Jus make sure you oder the mounting legs as well. These will raise the fixture of of the tank and allow you to run without a top. No top will give you bette light penetration and happier corals.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Quote:
Sure. You can put them in a more shaded area and be just fine. That light is also a good choice for your tank. Jus make sure you oder the mounting legs as well. These will raise the fixture of of the tank and allow you to run without a top. No top will give you bette light penetration and happier corals.

Yeah, right now I have a Coralife 96 watt pc on there. And I just went and bought the mounting legs for it. The light doesn't fit all the way across the tank, but with the legs on it, it sets nicely on the glass top I have right now.

And thanks for the suggestion lando, I really wanted to run my tank w/ out a lid, but I have a cat and she loves to jump. She's only jumped on my tank once and I don't think she'll do it again (she kinda got wet ). At least I always clean the lid once a week. And I'll eventually take it off because I know its better for the corals.

Thanks again for all the help!!!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That light will give you 6.5w per gallon. You could almost keep anything!!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is really great news, I was really hoping I could upgrade! 8)

This site is really great, so great I'm going to make a donation as soon as I get some money! In my opinion this is one of the best saltwater info. resource on the net. I've recived better info on this site than some of the books I've read. I can't say thank you enough!!
Old 02-15-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I can't agree more with you wanting to donate money. I get on that soapbox every once in a while. And you'll get to wear the "Aquarium Advice Alumni" tag. I'm quite proud of mine.

I think that is so considerate of you to understand how this site helps folks save time, money, and headaches - and show your appreciation that way.

Kudos on the way...

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
I think that is so considerate of you to understand how this site helps folks save time, money, and headaches - and show your appreciation that way.
Can't forget about saving all those little fishies lives!

Tags
light, lighting, stem, system, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com