Should I wait or go for it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 75 gal that has just been sitting in the other room for about 2 months now along with 100lbs LR. I have my current 50 gal long set up but I would really like to switch over as soon as possible. My lighting is a 48" 260 watt coralife pc fixture. I was wondering if all my corals (see my info) would be okay under that lighting ontop of the 75 while I wait about a month to get my MH's, or should I just wait? I was just thinking that the tanks are the same length just one is a little taller and wider than the other. I was hoping that if I kept them within the same range to the light if that would be okay for a temporary thing. Any ideas would be awesome too!

If they are placed at the same depth and in the same position relative to the center of the fixture then they should receive the same level of light intensity as before.

I.e., the PAR value will be almost identical at a location 2" forward and 3" left from the center of the fixture at a depth of 8" of water no matter how far the body of water extends beyond that point.

The only possible decrease in light intesity would be from the loss of any additional reflective bounce off of your substrate due to the additional inches of depth.
I would think that will be such a minimal amount that it won't be a factor anyway.
Of course, if you can borrow a submersible PAR meter you would be able to know exactly how much if any difference it makes at all.

Don't forget to acclimate your corals to the new MH when you get 'em.

I assume your 50 long is 48 x 18 x 13 which is the main reason your more higher light corals/inverts like goniopora, kenya tree coral, & clams are doing ok under 260 PC. I wouldn't do it personally jumping to 21" high (8" more) and just hold off till you get your MH.

Loyalrogue is correct though that if you added your additional lr and where able to place the corals in the relative same position to the current lighting then they would receive the same par values.

My main concern are your two clams which can move quite easily.

You have a beautiful assortment of corals/inverts and I'd hate to see any of them suffer.

I agree that if you were able to keep them the same distance from your light as in the 50 gallon then you should be OK. The clams as Micah said will be a challange.

I would wait. You would be moving them to a different light situation, not once, but twice in a couple months time. No matter how hard you try, you will not duplicate the light exactly. So it would be an adjustment now and then again when you got your new lights.

The more I think about it Lisa is right. I forgot about the MH`s coming in a month. No use in stressing them out twice.

Well the clams I had to move to a friends tank because I have two problems in my tank bothering them. One is my neon cleaner goby and the other I believe my hitchhiker crab was getting to it as well. I agree about not stressing them out twice which is why I decided to ask before I dove in. The 50 gal is 48x18.75x12.5 along with a 3-4" DSB. I guess it would just be best to wait then. I'm going to update my info too because some stuff I no longer have but for the most part that is all of them.

I forgot, yes I am definately going to acclimate everything to my halides when I get them. By the way has anyone ever use Catalinaaquarium.com for retro kits?

Back
Top Bottom