Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I agree. Try the garlic.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Will the garlic affect any of the other fish?

Just put a cunk of garlic in the glass with the shrimp?

Thanks,

-TheChad

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Soak the food in garlic. Don't dump the juice in the tank. Works well with frozen or live brine for me best. Your LFS should have a bottle for this purpose. Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme or Seachem Garlic Guard.

Quote:
Just put a cunk of garlic in the glass with the shrimp?
Its liquid. No cloves The other fish and all other inhabitants will go crazy over the stuff. It triggers a feeding response. Try researching vitamins also to soak foods in. And as with anything else in the racket, don't overdo it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do you not dump the juice in the tank?

I get some tank water, put a small chunck of the frozen shrimp in the glass, wait for it to defrost and seperate, then pour it into the tank...

Its not like the shrimp's are large enough to pull them out one by one!

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
Old 01-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
you can use kent garlic xtreme, it comes in liquid form. i use minced garlic (from the produce section in grocery store, or spice aisle) i cut the frozen food into smaller chunks, and put a little garlic on, smaller than the size of a pea. i only have 2 clowns so, it lasts for days in the freezer.

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would stray away from feeding bloodworms to marine animals if possible. If the fish are eating other things, then the bloodworms are not needed. They can add heavy to the bio load and cause constipation in veggie eating fish, because of the high rich protein in bloodworms. Besides, bloodworms are a FW food.

A garlic additive would be a good idea.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am sad to report today that the Percula Clown died last night.

I have no idea why, Other than possible starvation.

He hasn't really eaten in atleast 3-4 days, I've only seen him eat 1/4 of a flake.

He didn't look sick.

My only other thought is that he was possibly stressed by the damsels aggressiveness.

The damsel hasn't really picked on him much lately, the first couple of days he did, but when I feed them the damsel would practically go for the same flake just out of spite..

It may be time to get rid of the damsel. I don't know if that is what caused this or not, but if it was, He is gone. If its not, than i'd like to keep him.

I am happy to see though that the Copperband butterfly takes no crap from the damsel. He is obviously alot bigger, and when I put shrimp in the tank, the damsel trys to zip around and pick them all up, but the copper band doesn't allow too much from the damsel, they both eat when there is plenty, but as there gets to be less, the copperband will swim up and eat them almost right out of the damsel's mouth. I even saw the copper band chase the damsel once for the last piece the damsel had in his mouth, after 1 time around the tank, he spit it out, and the copperband ate it.

-TheChad
Old 01-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just did a water test, My results were mostly normal.

SG - 1.023
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrates - 0ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
PH - 7.8 <--- This is the only one that is off a little. I know it is suppose to be 8.2, I don't know why but the PH always changes between 7.8, 8.0, 8.2 Each time i test it.

-TheChad
Old 01-20-2006, 01:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

7.8 for extended periods of time can be stressful...especially for anything new. Is it at all possible that the pH was that low when the clown was introduced? There is a normal fluctuation of pH in marine throughout the day, but 7.8 is below that normal range. How long did you have the clown?

What type of substrate do you have in the tank and what is your water source? Tap? Well? RO?

Did you examine the body when the clown died? Were there any marks, tears, holes, scrapes?

If you are really into it, you can cut the clown open to see if there were any parasites inside the fish.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When we introduced the clown, I believe the PH was at 8.2.

We had the clown for about 2 weeks.

The substrate is Dolomite. I did not see any defects when I pulled the clown out of the tank. We use Tap water, and add Dechlorinater (1 Drop per gallon)

Today i noticed my damsel isn't jetting around the tank as he normally does. After watching him for about an hour I saw him swim over to the Fire Shrimp, the fire shrimp right away ran up to him, and almost climbed on him (The shrimp is much bigger than the damsel)

I know I read that could be a parasite when the shrimp is hanging off your fish!?

I don't know if the shirmp would otherwise do that!?

Does the shrimp eat the parasite?

Just as a precaution I think i should lower the SG, From what I understand by lowering the SG it will kill any parasites, but not hurt the fish!?

If so what should I lower it to?

Is there any other precautions i can/should take?

P.S. The clown was at the bottom of the tank. Does that mean anything? (A guy that works with my wife said if they are at the bottom something killed them, if they float at the top, they died of natural causes. I wasn't sure how tru that was!?)

Thanks,

-TheChad

Tags
clown, percula

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com