Shower, as a fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strawman

Aquarium Advice Activist
A kid in my english class dropped this in my ear, it seems very feasible yet expensive, except for one problem, the tank would heat up with the hot water being run for the shower.

Any ideas on how to insulate against this and still be able to set the tank?

I don't think I understand what you mean... can you explain how you plan on putting a tank in a shower? or are you talking about keeping it in a bathtub? sorry, Im really confused lol

ok, take a fish tank right, expanding it into a very large cylinder, making room in the middle for you to shower in, the rest of the area is designated for the fish.

Is it me or is that just odd. I mean, I like to have my tanks in rooms that I spend a lot of time in. Now I wouldn't mind having a really big cylinder shaped tank in my family room, I like the idea of that, but it'd have to be for something like seahorses, not enough swimming room for most fish (or else we're talking a 3' diameter cylinder)

I think he means a circle about 3-4 ft. in diameter that you stand in the middle of to shower with the tank creating the walls of the shower. Cool idea, but the logistics of something like that would be huge (and very expensive).

Oh, I get it now, my bad. Still not sure if I'd like to have a tank isolated to the bathroom.

i dunno if i want all those eyes looking at me while i'm showering lol

If search for LA fishguy on youtube he has a video where he cares for someone who has this setup it's like the tank is used for the front of the shower and he shows the setup, looks expensive....

They say not to tap on the glass, wouldn't this be breaking the rule billions of times? Plus, what about the temp of the water?

I dont know about a cylinder style tank, but im sure you could do a 3 sided tank, with the shower head in the center..

I've already thought about doing this myself, basically having the glass company build it onsite, just like they would a basic glass shower enclosure, only instead of it just being a single sided pane of glass on each side and a door for entry.. you can do a 12" or larger wide 3 sided 'U' shape.

The tanks dont have to go from floor to cieling either. Its an interesting idea, very easily done with a bit of money and some ingenuity.

if you are really concerned about the water warming as you take a shower or the water hitting the glass stressing the fish, you could use double pane glass particularly on the inside walls/ It will provide insulation from both heat and vibration like a double pane window

I don't think that the water tapping the glass would be a problem... and if you had a tank that size money probably wouldn't be a huge issue... you would probably have a chiller attached and with that water volume it probably wouldn't heat up much anyways.

wierdkid said:
if you are really concerned about the water warming as you take a shower or the water hitting the glass stressing the fish, you could use double pane glass particularly on the inside walls/ It will provide insulation from both heat and vibration like a double pane window

That's what i was thinking it would be
Really expensive to do

Back
Top Bottom