shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Could a herlequin shrimp and a coral banded shrimp get along.

I'v done a lot of research about the herlequin shrimp but couldn't find much on this.

I don't have a coral banded yet eithher . And we have decided against a mandarin so where looking for some cool bottom guys :)

A harlequin shrimp will need a steady diet of starfish. If you don't mind sending starfish to their death and watching them slowly devoured alive, then a harlequin shrimp is fine for you.
Coral banded shrimp can be aggressive and they have been known to grab small fish on occasion. If you are ok with the starfish thing, then I would suggest skunk cleaner shrimp. Perhaps a pair or trio of them. They are quite social and completely reef safe.

I have read that I could keep a couple chocolate chip stars in my Q tank and cut off a arm a week and eventually the arms will grow back. I have also some will take frozen stars. I'd have to speak to the guy at the lfs he's awesome and see how the ones he has for sale eat frozen or live. I wouldn't mind it tho its pretty cool looking.

I'm going look up those other shrimp.

Thank you

The skunk is actually the one I was looking for but couldn't remember the name that's how I found the coral banded shrimp. Will definitely be getting at least 2 maybe 3.

My clowns won't eat the harlequin right? Would hate for a 35$ shrimp to become a snack. My hubby says if we get it, it its weird our most expensive fish will be a shrimp. Lol

I tried to nicely explain to my son that the harlequin will only eat star fish and he seems ok with it. At first when I told him he said its ok I'll use my Xmas money get his stars :). So I went on to tell him it isn't the money and that we will buy its food we just wanted to make sure he knows so he isn't weirded out when it starts its fest. We will prolly get him.

I'm going to keep reading all I can and come this weekend we'll have a family talk and other possible choices and go from there( but my son n hubby both seem to want the harlequin) but regardless next Tue we are getting 2 skunk shrimps :) Do the skunk shrimp need any special food/snack? Getting on my reading for them to ;)

Don't forget to drip acclimate them. Shrimp are sensitive to parameter changes. Where in Pa. are you? I have a CC star here, in one of my sumps, that I need to find a use for.

My clowns won't eat the harlequin right? Would hate for a 35$ shrimp to become a snack. My hubby says if we get it, it its weird our most expensive fish will be a shrimp. Lol

I tried to nicely explain to my son that the harlequin will only eat star fish and he seems ok with it. At first when I told him he said its ok I'll use my Xmas money get his stars :). So I went on to tell him it isn't the money and that we will buy its food we just wanted to make sure he knows so he isn't weirded out when it starts its fest. We will prolly get him.

I'm going to keep reading all I can and come this weekend we'll have a family talk and other possible choices and go from there( but my son n hubby both seem to want the harlequin) but regardless next Tue we are getting 2 skunk shrimps :) Do the skunk shrimp need any special food/snack? Getting on my reading for them to ;)

Im sorry to tell you but 3 species of shrimp will likely not do well, the coral banded is usually aggressive towards other shrimp and as stated even small fish. If you do go with 3 species just keep a close eye on the coral banded. Hes likely to make a meal of anything he can catch. Or atleast thats my experience with many of them.

I'm in between Allentown n stroud. In a small pea town of Bangor. I was typing when you wrote your other response this is why I love this group honesty. So now I know the arms won't grow back so soon. So I guess after I've cut off all its arms I'd just toss the remaining center in. I feel like a killer. Or could I keep two in my Q tank and in between them growing give a whole one. I think I like the arm idea better so it don't die before he finishes.

I use a plastic container put fish/shrimp in it with there water and slowly added lil by lil of my water with a turkey baster. Where do I get the drip thing from?

Im sorry to tell you but 3 species of shrimp will likely not do well, the coral banded is usually aggressive towards other shrimp and as stated even small fish. If you do go with 3 species just keep a close eye on the coral banded. Hes likely to make a meal of anything he can catch. Or atleast thats my experience with many of them.

I'm not doing 3 species

I Decided against the coral banded when Mr x suggested the skunk it says no where 3 species. I'd like 2 skunk cleaners and a harliquin

I'm in between Allentown n stroud. In a small pea town of Bangor. I was typing when you wrote your other response this is why I love this group honesty. So now I know the arms won't grow back so soon. So I guess after I've cut off all its arms I'd just toss the remaining center in. I feel like a killer. Or could I keep two in my Q tank and in between them growing give a whole one. I think I like the arm idea better so it don't die before he finishes.

I use a plastic container put fish/shrimp in it with there water and slowly added lil by lil of my water with a turkey baster. Where do I get the drip thing from?
Use a piece of airline tubing tied in a knot.

I live near Sesame Place, if you know where that is. My GF and I were thinking of driving up to Yuengling Brewery for the tour later this week. Might you head out that way for anything around Wednesday?

I don't even know where the brewery is lol. What town is it in? As long as its not to far I can. Children all get outta school diff hrs but I could prolly make it work.

Edit we just came up here from Texas almost 3 yrs ago. So I'm not really sure of a lot of places lol.

I Decided against the coral banded when Mr x suggested the skunk it says no where 3 species. I'd like 2 skunk cleaners and a harliquin

My mistake I must have missed that. Well looks like your in great shape then:)

I think the arm thing can still work but your gonna need quite a few stars to start with a couple wont cut it.

My mistake I must have missed that. Well looks like your in great shape then:)

I think the arm thing can still work but your gonna need quite a few stars to start with a couple wont cut it.

I was actually looking for the skunk shrimp( cudnt remember the name) when I came across the coral banded and as soon as he said skunk cleaner and I looked it up coral banded didn't even have a second thought (along with the eating of small fish)

Yeah that's a little bit of a drive. But in a week we have to drive down to the children's hospital in philly so maybe we can make a detour on the way home if you still have him. And 3$ they are 8-12 $ up here. I'd still give u what we'd pay here for him.

Well, swing by here, and then our local store (the Hidden Reef), where they sell for much less than you pay. I think it's 3 bucks give or take. This one isn't going anywhere.

Wow that's really cheap. My son has brain cancer so Philly has become a regular trip for us. We find out next week if he has gone into remission. So maybe on our trips down I'll have stop at this store when we need more. That could be up to 4 stars for the price of one here. Wow. Have you ever seen a harliqun shrimp there? If so how much.

Not sure about the shrimp. I'm sorry for your trouble. I hope you have good news next week!
in my area there are 3 stores you can check out in a couple mile radius.

Back
Top Bottom