Shrimp & Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont think so... Mine does the same thing but im pretty sure he just cleans them or eats things on their shells or something..

Mine is like tugging at my snail. Guess only real way find out is to get my snail out in see ... Huh?

Yah i just had a hermit kill my snail is it ok to leave it in there to be eaten?

Mine has been on its back n at the back of the tank.. My shrimp has been nipping at it a couple days so today I got it out n looked and it has got stuck to a small shell n guess couldn't let go so my shrimp nipped him a lot it could see when I pulled it from the shell.... I was told u could leave them in there and the shrimp n crabs would take care of if

Sharklover said:
Yah i just had a hermit kill my snail is it ok to leave it in there to be eaten?

My hermits have killed like 4 of my astra snails. They fall off the glass and land shell side down and before they can get straight the hermit made a meal out of them. I have been able to save a couple but some have not been so lucky. Then the hermit steals the shell and parades around like it was a trophy!!!

brainless chef said:
My hermits have killed like 4 of my astra snails. They fall off the glass and land shell side down and before they can get straight the hermit made a meal out of them. I have been able to save a couple but some have not been so lucky. Then the hermit steals the shell and parades around like it was a trophy!!!

Lol that's funny about stealing shell n acting like its trophy :)

I have had the same problem. Mine don't steal the shells but they do eat them ocasionally. They are probably stealing the shells because they need a bigger shell. Do you have any larger shells in your tank for the hermits to move to?

Weird what kind of hermits are they? Mine are scarlet reef hermits and that's all they like to do is hunt so if a snail falls off they are on it in no time. I have 2 huge ones probably 1 1/2" and they are fine its the smaller ones that kill the snails.

Most hermits kill snails out of sheer instinct. I once saw a hermit kill 3 snails in one day and change shells 3 times.

Really? That's the only reason? That's interesting I did not know that. So let me ask you this then. Why would mine not take the shell?

I have no idea. I didn't say that's the only reason, but it's definitely a reason. Some do it for food, some for the shell, some for both.

Back
Top Bottom