Shrimp being eaten by snail.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I posted earlier that my peppermint shrimp had died, and that I had no Idea what my snails are going to eat now that they cleaned up my entire QT. Both of these questions have been answered in one fell swoop. My snails ate my shrimp, I wouldn't believe it either If I had not seen it with my own eyes. I just got a new cleaner shrimp and when I looked into the tank I saw this...

Attachments

• shrimp_eating_1.jpg
    shrimp_eating_1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 271
  • shrimp_eating_2.jpg
    shrimp_eating_2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 206
Oh he is eating it. The radula is inside the shrimp, sucking out all the juices 8O .
They are mexican turbo snails, I never heard about them doing anything like this.

I would bet the shrimp died of something else and the snail is just doing the job you hired him for ..cleaning up.
There is no way a snail would catch a healthy shrimp....no way. What are the water parameter, including nitrate?

bet the shrimp died of something else and the snail is just doing the job you hired him for ..cleaning up.
I have to agree, think about it how could a snail(turbo) ambush a shrimp :wink:

When I took the picture the shrimp was still alive. Needless to say, he no longer is.

I've seen new shrimp not acclimate well and become almost comatose. Alive, but not moving at all. I gotta believe that the snail got him that way. Otherwise, i'd have to believe snails have an extra few gears they don't show humans, :roll: and your stupid snail let the cat out of the bag for all the snails in the world!

Shrimp move really fast. Too bad you couldn't have gotten a little video clip of dinner time, sped it up on the replay, and showed it that way. Snail moving in those extra gears choping down. Shrimp still alive at first. That would've been a hoot. :slurp:

Sounds right, I acclimated for three hours, but the water was much warmer than the water in the store, and although he ate when I put food in there he was virtually comatose. That would also explain what happened to my other shrimp when the temperature suddenly changed.

Lesson of the day, make sure your heaters are working, and try to match temperature well.

I acclimated for three hours, but the water was much warmer than the water in the store, and although he ate when I put food in there he was virtually comatose. That would also explain what happened to my other shrimp when the temperature suddenly changed.
What kind of acclimation? Floating the bag in your tank to even out temp. then drip acclimating new livestock, especially invertebrates, is the best method. Temp. should be the least of your worries...ph, sg, ca/alk, etc.

Back
Top Bottom