Shrimp choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I sadly lost my blood shrimp last week, after 7 months. All of the other inhabitants in my tank seem fine, and water quality is spot on.

I intend to get another, but, he hid an awful lot! I very rarely saw him as he spent most of his time clinging to the back of part of the rock.

So, I'm thinking of getting a standard cleaner shrimp, and my question is - are these more likely to "play out" during the day/when the lights are on?

I know they're not as striking to look at, but if I see them more, I'll go for one of these instead (and they're a lot cheaper!).

Thanks.

Cleaner shrimp are more "visible" then fire shrimp. Folks have had them clean dead skin off their hands when they stuck them in the tank.

Cleaner shrimp are more "visible" then fire shrimp. Folks have had them clean dead skin off their hands when they stuck them in the tank.

Hehe, cool :)

It's just a 10G nano, plenty of rockwork for them to hide - would I/they benefit from getting 2 (smallish ones)?

I think 2 would be ok in there. I don't have nano experience so you may want to wait till one of the nano folks comment.

Cool - well, I don't necessarily WANT 2 - but if they like to be in twos, and would be more active together, etc...

Cleaner Shrimp do plenty fine on their own, I have a Fire Shrimp, as well as had a Cleaner Shrimp. I lost my cleaner shrimp to my Hawkfish who wanted an extra meal.

My fire shrimp is always visable, he hangs out upside down under my rockwork, I just have to find him, Most of the time he's near the same place.

The Cleaner shrimp as mentioned, is ALOT more active, he was ALWAYS out and about, But he also freaked out new fish cuz he always wanted to jump on them and clean them!

Personally in a 10g tank, I would not get 2, but that is my personal opinion, and not based on anything. 1 Will be plenty active, and 10g is not very much room.

-TheChad

The cleaners grow fast too if you feed them well. Mine are already 4 times the size since I bought them not many months ago. I think I created monsters. They are great. Each has a different personalty.

IMO, any of the shrimp come out more when not solitary. My 3 bloods are out all the time. A single shrimp isn't going to feel too bold, so it's a crap shoot.

BTW, my bloods ALWAYS seem to outlive my cleaners. Dunno, maybe it's just my luck that way. I've given upon cleaners (skunk).

Back
Top Bottom