Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Shrimp compatability question.

I have a 37 LPS/soft/anemone reef w/ ~70# LR. My question is if I have room for a skunk cleaner shrimp or not?

1 pistol shrimp
1 coral banded shrimp
2 peppermint shrimp went missing the other day, could possibly be molting and hiding.
1 emerald crab
1 serpent starfish
bunch of hermits and snails
2 small rock boring urchins (hitchhikers, finding a home for 1 of them soon)
1 tigertail cucumber that hides in the rock work sticking only its head out (I never see it)

2 true percula clowns
1 randalls goby
1 sixline wrasse

I like the skunk cleaners because they are out more often and are nicer but I'm just wondering if I have room for another.

I change about 10g weekly, sometimes every other week(in case anyone wants to know)

37 gal all glass
50lb LR
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Shrimp dont add too much to the bio load but I`ve heard horrible stories about the CBS and other shrimp when they get crowded. That is my concern.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've also heard skunk shrimp don't get on well with peppermints.
quixand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by quixand
I've also heard skunk shrimp don't get on well with peppermints.
I haven't had any problems with peppermints and skunks in the same tank... yet, but just like everything else in this hobby, results may (and will) vary.

I've also been warned about the CBS by my LFS so I've never bought one as I have peppermints and/or skunks in all my tanks.
loyalrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
My CBS was awfully mean. I waited to add new shrimp to the tank until he died (that sounds bad, doesn't it?). Anyways, it would be a risk if my opinion and since skunks are expensive (atleast around here they are) it would be up to you whether you want to take it or not. I agree though with the others, you do have the room for it, just dependent on the agression or lack thereof of your other shrimp.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
My CBS was awfully mean.
My CBS is very territorial but doesn't go after anything unless it invades it's space and most things are too fast for it to do any damage. Only thing you might want to consider is buying a larger cleaner if you do decide to do it.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
My CBS is about 2 years old, and my cleaner shrimp (skunk) is about 1.5 yrs old. I also have 3 peppermint shrimp. All of this in a 55gal and no problems.

- Mike
125 gal. reef w sump/refugium & 8-bulb 640w T5's
45 gal fresh w/plants + CPF lighting
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

compatability, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com