Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-24-2008, 01:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Shrimp Compatibility

I have a fire shrimp in my 75 gallon and he has quickly become my favorite inhabitant to watch. I've come to think that shrimp are a lot more interesting to watch than fish so I'm wanting to try to slowly add some other species of shrimp but want to make sure that everything will be compatible.

Right now I'm looking at skunk cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, camel shrimp, and maybe a sexy shrimp. I likely won't add all of those but they are the types that I am considering and just wanted to know if anyone thought any combination of those would cause problems? I have quite a bit of live rock with plenty of hiding places throughout the tank.

I would add a coral banded shrimp but I've read of some people having peaceful CBS and others that have them wreak havoc and I don't want to release a serial killer in my tank. I was reading about how both the yellow and gold CBS don't grow to be as large as the normal ones, does anyone think that one of these smaller types would have a reduced chance of violence towards the other shrimp?

Jace_242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal and i have a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint. They actually hang around each other most of the time and get along great.

55 gallon Aquarium, 75 lbs. Live rock, 760 watt Metal Halide Lighting , Started new in July 2008.
jbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I`ve never had a CBS but I wont get one because of the bad rep they have. No use in tanking a chance.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Camel shrimp will eat coral. Don't think there would be a compatibility issue with other shrimp but something to consider if you plan on or already have a reef tank.
pat8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
The CBS can and may kill any other shrimp in your tank. They are pretty aggressive towards other shrimp and even small fish.

Skunk Cleaners and Peppermint shrimp will be fine.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with the rest. Get 2-4 sexy shrimp, they stay small and I think they do better in groups.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

compatibility, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com