Shrimp Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jace_242

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a fire shrimp in my 75 gallon and he has quickly become my favorite inhabitant to watch. I've come to think that shrimp are a lot more interesting to watch than fish so I'm wanting to try to slowly add some other species of shrimp but want to make sure that everything will be compatible.

Right now I'm looking at skunk cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, camel shrimp, and maybe a sexy shrimp. I likely won't add all of those but they are the types that I am considering and just wanted to know if anyone thought any combination of those would cause problems? I have quite a bit of live rock with plenty of hiding places throughout the tank.

I would add a coral banded shrimp but I've read of some people having peaceful CBS and others that have them wreak havoc and I don't want to release a serial killer in my tank. I was reading about how both the yellow and gold CBS don't grow to be as large as the normal ones, does anyone think that one of these smaller types would have a reduced chance of violence towards the other shrimp?

I have a 55 gal and i have a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint. They actually hang around each other most of the time and get along great.

I`ve never had a CBS but I wont get one because of the bad rep they have. No use in tanking a chance.

Camel shrimp will eat coral. Don't think there would be a compatibility issue with other shrimp but something to consider if you plan on or already have a reef tank.

The CBS can and may kill any other shrimp in your tank. They are pretty aggressive towards other shrimp and even small fish.

Skunk Cleaners and Peppermint shrimp will be fine.

I agree with the rest. Get 2-4 sexy shrimp, they stay small and I think they do better in groups.

Back
Top Bottom