Shrimp eating coral ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Gillman

Aquarium Advice Regular
Woke up this morning to discover one of my smaller skunk cleaner shrimp missing.After a closer look i could see antenna sticking out of a polyp of my yellow sun coral.It had engulfed the entire shrimp and was fatter than the rest of the polyps.Anybody else run into something like this?At 18 bucks a pop for cleaners this can get kinda expensive.

Sun Corals can catch big stuff...I never knew that big though. Keep a check and make sure the shrimp isn't still lingering in the tank and the coral didn't just grab the exoskeleton....

My guess is maybe it went after something so large because it wasn't getting fed enough? How often are you feeding it?

Sorry to hear about your shrimp.

I have sun polyps and I`ve never had that happen. Hmm, something I guess I need to check out. It just seems to me that a shrimp would be able to escape something like that. I think DT might have a point.

Your shrimp could have also molted. It is common for them to hide for a few days after molting to let their exoskeleton harden.

Back
Top Bottom