Shrimp Fighting.... Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I have 1 Fire shirmp, 1 Camel Shrimp, and 2 Skunk Cleaner shrimp.

Listest from biggest to smallest...

The Fire shrimp was the first in the tank, the camel was the 2nd. The 2 skunk cleaner shrimp were just added about a week ago.

It is a 29 gal tank, right now there are no fish in the tank as my Copper Banded Butterfly is in QT.

From the moment I added the skunk cleaner shrimp, both the Fire shrimp and the camel shrimp charge at the cleaner shrimps if they come close.

The cleaners wonder freely around the tank where as the fire and camel shrimp stay around the rock in the tank. When the cleaner shrimp wonder over to the rock, the fire shrimp and the camel shrimp will both charge at them, of course the cleaners quickly run away, and I don't think there has ever been actual contact..

Is this normal? The fire and camel shrimp get along just fine, they don't ever charge at each other.

Since there are no fish in the tank right now I feed once every other day.

The Fire and camel shrimp are both lazy, and wait for food to come to them, the camel shrimp will sometimes roam, but the fire shrimp stays inside the hole in the rock and dosn't do much roaming.

Soon these inverts as well as the butterfly will be in a 55g tank.

THanks,

-TheChad

this is completely normal. Shrimps just dont get along well. Ive seen my Fire shrimps fight and broken some anttenas and even a leg. the Cause for my shrimps fighting was lack of food/competition for food.

From what I understand Shrimp will re-grow legs?

I could feed more, but the fire shrimp wont really go out and get it, so I don't know how good it would do.

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom