Shrimp happinies question...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
WIll a fire shimp and a cleaner get along in a 60 gallon tank?
I have had a cleaner in the tank now for a year and want another shrimp to hang out on the other side of the tank. Can I get a fire shrimp and put him on the other side of the tank and all be happy?

Or should should i just get 2 or 3 more cleaners...
Can I add 2 fires and 1 more cleaner then?
Or just stick with all one type?

I have 1 fire, 2 cleaner, 1 pepermint, and 1 randall's pistol shrimp in a 47.5 gallon. All are getting along fine.

FWIW - a fire shrimp will not be as active as a cleaner, IE not out as much. Mine sits in his little cave most of the day, coming out occasionally. The cleaners are out and about often, but the others are not out near as much.

Also, I have been told they don;t like bright lighting. I have 4w/gall - this might be the reason he hides so much. Others have said their fire isn't out much either, though.

just my oninion/experience - maybe someone else can tell you better.

--Logan

See my stock below. Mine get along just fine. Never seen any aggression from either so I say go for it. :)
My experience is the same as Logan's, they seem to stay in their cave most of the day.

As long as they are all about the same size they will get along fine. I'd suggest Two Fire Shrimp and one more of whatever Cleaner Shrimp you already have (Scarlet I assume).

If you hand feed them for a while they will become a lot friendlier and will come out from hiding when you see them. The Fire Cleaner Shrimp are nocturnal by nature so they need to be trained if you want to see them in the light.

Attachments

• cleaners.jpg
    cleaners.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 96
Shhhhhhhhh... don't tell mine that they are supposed to be nocturnal. They clearly have no idea (cleaners). They're out all the time!

I have 1 fire, 1 cleaner and 1 CBS and they all get along perfect...

Cleaner Shrimp are nocturnal by nature so they need to be trained if you want to see them in the light.
You mean like this? :p

Attachments

• cleaning_126.jpg
    cleaning_126.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 103
I just want to make my quote clear...

Scarlet Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, and Peppermint Shrimp are all referred to as "Cleaner Shrimp". It's confusing to ask if Fire Shrimp get along with Cleaner Shrimp. It's like asking if Cerith get along with Snails.

Fire Shrimp (or Fire Cleaner Shrimp) are nocturnal and so are Peppermint Shrimp. The Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp are not nocturnal and are normally out in the light. Hand feeding the nocturnal species in the daylight can train them to be visible during the day so you get to see them.

Attachments

• peppermints.jpg
    peppermints.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 92
Yes, my Fire Shrimp are a little more shy. Will come out for a pellet now and then but always seem to stick close to the cave entrance.

Actually Keith it was a Neon Goby. Little sucker disappeared over the summer, never could find him. I fished (no pun) him out of the overflow once, but the second time no dice. That picture was about a year ago, I had just gotten him.

You'll be happy. You seem to be a mobile invert guy. I can relate, they are the best. :)
I see you have a Neon Pseudochromis , how do you like that fish?

quarryshark said:
You'll be happy. You seem to be a mobile invert guy. I can relate, they are the best. :)
I see you have a Neon Pseudochromis , how do you like that fish?

I LOVE him..
HE's a little umm bastard though...
Killed a rainsford gobie and 2 twin spot signals...
Can't put anyting in the tank that resembles a gobie... Nothing else long and skinny... or real small. I added other fish and they are fine...
Very active guy.. My guys name is "hunter" because he's constantly looking for worms and stuff in the rock.. Love when I put my face close to the tank, he comes to me and checks out my face.. He's cool...

Back
Top Bottom