Shrimp molts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I kept 2 blood shrimp over the past few months (both of which aren't with us anymore), and they molted approx. every 2 weeks, which is a bit often - I read that 4 weeks is about the norm?

Anyway, my new blood shrimp (attempt no. 3) seems to be going the same way - molting every 2 weeks.

Is this bad? Anything to do with lack of iodine in my Instant Ocean salt (particularly that the other 2 died without any other signs) perhaps?

I'm hoping that when/if I change over to Tropic Marin Pro Reef, that it will sort things out.

Not really watched how often my various shrimps molt, you normally get a molt on introduction to your tank & then I'd read roughly every 3 weeks after that?

I did dose Iodine, I stopped & within a month one of my cleaners died? maybe coinidence, maybe not? since then I dose Iodine once a fortnight since i have a smaller tank than the instructions on this kent stuff. (fingers crossed) I've not lost anymore shrimps since then.

I too am swopping to the TMRP salt from this week, I should get it tomorrow so I'll look on the bucket to see whether it includes higher levels of Iodine before I decide what to do, I know alot of different things in the tank use Iodine & too little is just as bad as too much.

Cheers Shelton.

Yeah - I probably wouldn't dose iodine as well as using the TMPR until you've done a few tests to find out exactly how much more is in the TMPR. What salt are you using now btw, and how do you intend to changeover?

To changeover, I intend to do 10% waterchanges each week over 12 weeks, then revert back to my normal 20% waterchanges every 2 weeks after that.

Will this be ok? Or do you think the sudden jump from every 2 weeks to every week (and back again) could upset something?

The TMPR is cheap too, compared to IO! Is TM generally thought of as a better brand than IO?

Yeah - I probably wouldn't dose iodine as well as using the TMPR until you've done a few tests to find out exactly how much more is in the TMPR. What salt are you using now btw, and how do you intend to changeover?

Well up until 3 weeks ago I was using IO, made a mistake of picking up a box of normal TM, so I've just used that up & /should/ have TMRP coming tomorrow to usee in this weeks water change

To changeover, I intend to do 10% waterchanges each week over 12 weeks, then revert back to my normal 20% waterchanges every 2 weeks after that. Will this be ok? Or do you think the sudden jump from every 2 weeks to every week (and back again) could upset something?

should be alright, I do 10% weekly changes anyway so it makes no difference to me....

The TMPR is cheap too, compared to IO! Is TM generally thought of as a better brand than IO?

Hmmmmmmm, my IO cost a lot less than this new stuff? I know a few people that are using it that say its good, time will tell & I've bought just a 5kg bucket to start with to find out for myself :lol:

Cheers Shelton.

I've seen IO for between £10 - £20 more than the equivalent sized TMPR! Maybe it's just Steve's prices that are good :p

25kg IO on aquariumsuperstore for instance is £80, Steve does 25kg TMPR for £60!

Back
Top Bottom