Shrimp recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish noob

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to get a shrimp for my 60g cube. I currently have 2 clowns in it, but plan on adding a dwarf angel and wrasse eventually. I plan on having corals as well.

Are there any shrimp that will eat the pellets of food that fall to the sand substrate that go unnoticed by my fish?

I was looking at the banded coral shrimp and the fire shrimp. Any recommendations?

Most any shrimp will scavenge left over food on the sandbed, thats their thing. lol

Which shrimp do you like? I happen to like the fire shrimp and cleaner shrimp myself. Very colorful and you can usually see them since they arent too tiny. :)

Just as a foot note, most angel fish are not coral friendly. :-(

Id vote for the skunk cleaners just added 2 more to my tank which makes 3 and they interact very well together..plus with the long "whiskers" you can almost always find them pretty easily lol

I really like the look of the banded coral shrimp the most. They get pretty big though. Do you foresee any issues with it and corals/fish?

I'm on the fence as far as the dwarf angel goes. I'm debating on if I should roll the dice on whether it disturbs the corals.

The coral banded shrimp can get big...for a shrimp. Mine is the size of a tea cup and with the antenna, not sure. I have heard they can nip polyps and maybe even snag a very small fish. Mine prowls around at night and looks up to no good...but I have never caught him doing anything bad. I also love red fire shrimp. But mine only shows up once every couple of months for about 10 seconds. He has obviously set up shop on the quieter back side of the reef.

Wrasses really won't eat the polyps, but they are constantly picking around them looking for worms. My zoas hate them, but still grow. Mixed blessing because they do keep the worms away.

Back
Top Bottom