Shrimp that get along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonForce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I really love the look of the coral banded shrimp, but i heard that the cleaner shrimp is a little better becuase of its cleaning capabilities. Also i read that coral banded shrimp will also clean. Should i pick one or the other? or both? im setting up a 37 gal reef tank. Thank you!

CBS will often kill other cleaners. Really, I find all shrimp ornamental, they really have no impact on cleaning parasites, etc. as they do in the wild. They will all scavenge to some degree cleaning up extra food. I would choose one or the other...but you can mix cleaner shrimp with say...peppermint shrimp.

i have 3 peppermints, 2 cleaners, 1 CBS and the hitch hikers (1 brown gulf shrimp with various pistols and maybe a mantis or two

My CBS, cleaner and peppermint all get along fine in a 75g. BTW, the cleaner definately does work on my tangs and angel. I have never seen the CBS attempt tp clean a fish. A 37g might be a bit small as the CBS can be a bit aggressive. I would not trust it with real small fish.

I have two peppemints, two cleaners, one CBS, one blood shrimp and one pistol shrimp in my 72gal reef. I have not had any trouble with any of them.

I made the mistake of adding two cbs to my 125 that had 4 pepps already. Over time the cbs became a mated pair and my pepps starting disappearing. The cbs were removed to a 12 gal tank and now I have 5 pepps and two scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp. When the cleaners were first introduced they did try to clean. After a few days I noticed my FoxFace Lo stopping by for an occasional cleaning. I noticed the tang getting a cleaning once. This is either happening when I'm not around now or not happening at all any more.

My skunk cleaner shrimp and CBS have been together in my 55gal for over a year, and they've never had problems with each other.

2 skumks and a cbs in a 75g with no issues. will be adding a pep to the 29g which has a small cbs in it now. dont expect issues.

Back
Top Bottom