Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Shrimp Trap

Are there any homemade traps for catching a shrimp that anyone can suggest?

I woke up one morning to find my cleaner shrimp had been mauled, and a few days later woke up to see my porcelain crab suffered the same fate. My only suspect is my fire shrimp (who I first-hand witnessed picking at my peppermint shrimp a few months ago).

Long story short, I want to get him out of my tank before he turns his attention to any hermits or worse, to my fish, but the little critter is always hiding in the rock work and never comes out into the open when I get near the tank.

salty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Hmmm, I have not heard of a fire shrimp attacking other shrimp. Are they all well fed? Are you sure it isn't some other critter in your tank?

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know what else it could have been...the cleaner shrimp was pretty big too (about twice the size of the fire shrimp). My other fish (small clown, royal gamma and 6-line) are all well fed, and I've never seen them tussle with the Cleaner or bother the Porcelain. I suspect the Fire shrimp because I witnessed it attack (and basically eat) my Peppermint.
salty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I have a blood or fire shrimp and never seen him be aggressive before. That is strange.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
i dont kno if its the shrimp... but i can teach you how to make a trap.... all you need is a poland spring bottle..... Cut off the top of the bottle where the first line is....then flip it so that the part you drink out of is on the inside.....glue it/make holes and tie it to secure the trap... Put food and youll be amazed at what you'll catch with this easy trap!! if you have any questions just pm me... hth
nycfatcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to ct67_72
I just made that trap and cought a mantis shrimp in about4 hours, with a raw shrimp inside. great idea. you just have to put something in the opening of the bottle so it can get traction to pull itself inside
ct67_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
salty27- I also dn't think it's the fire shrimp. You may want to get a flashlight (or red light) and when the lights are off at night look for anything else. Maybe you have a hitchhiker crab in there that's killing them or a mantis shrimp. You'd be surprised at how many critters are in the tank that you've ever seen before. A couple days ago I was feeding my fish and noticed this black/white crab that was catching the flakes and I have never seen before. The tank has been up for over a year and I haven't bought any rocks for the tank in several months so I'm pretty sure he's been in there since day 1 and I'd never seen him.

Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote

rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com