Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Shrimp with Royal Gramma Question

Just wondering i have read a few people have had problems with the gramma being around cleaner shrimp anybody have any feedback on this.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've never a problem. My gramma used to get along with my skunk cleaner just fine. The gramma has since passed on. RIP

Old 02-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a royal gramma with two skunk cleaners, one fire shrimp and one coral banded shrimp. Never had a problem.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just a third confirmation, Royal Gramma with a skunk and 2 peppermints and no problems here.
Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to faerykisses
I've only had a brief experience with the Gramma and my shrimp, a coral banded. I bought a purple pseudochromis only to find out that him and my shrimp were super incompatible; fighting, stand offs and nipping, (impulse buy argh)... anyhoo, I brought the fish back to my LFS and told him that I wanted to exhange the pseudochromis for a Royal Gramma. He told me that I would get the same results with the Gramma that I would have with the pseudochromis. I had read otherwise online of course. So I brought the Gramma home but he did not survive more than two days. I'm suspecting that the Gramma was sick from the LFS since we have had previous similar experiences, but I could not say for sure that it wasn't due to stress or fighting.

Note: I only trust about 32 % of the things that come out of my LFS's mouth.

Prolly not helpful but my two cents.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for all your replys
Old 02-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

My royal gramma was in my tank before I added a cleaner shrimp. The gramma had staked out a little cave in the rock and he rarely ventures too far from it. When I added the cleaner shrimp he made the mistake of wandering into the gramma's cave, and he got dragged back out by the whiskers hehe. That was the only aggression that I saw between them. Now the cleaner stays out of there and no problems at all. The gramma won't let himself be cleaned though.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #8
cd5
Aquarium Advice Activist

My gamma and small cleaner are fine together, I was more worried about my serpent star because I feed him freeze dried krill

Quote:
Note: I only trust about 32 % of the things that come out of my LFS's mouth.
That is alot of trust
Old 11-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have the opposite problem; my cleaner shrimp is stalking my royal gramma and keeps grabbing him. I don't know why - is it aggression or cleaning behaviour? Either way, the royal gramma doesn't like the attention. Now the cleaner has taken to sitting outside the gramma's cave and waiting for him to come out. What is going on?!

Tags
rim, royal, royal gramma, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com