Shrimp with Royal Gramma Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thor32766

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering i have read a few people have had problems with the gramma being around cleaner shrimp anybody have any feedback on this.

I have a royal gramma with two skunk cleaners, one fire shrimp and one coral banded shrimp. Never had a problem.

Just a third confirmation, Royal Gramma with a skunk and 2 peppermints and no problems here.

I've only had a brief experience with the Gramma and my shrimp, a coral banded. I bought a purple pseudochromis only to find out that him and my shrimp were super incompatible; fighting, stand offs and nipping, (impulse buy argh)... anyhoo, I brought the fish back to my LFS and told him that I wanted to exhange the pseudochromis for a Royal Gramma. He told me that I would get the same results with the Gramma that I would have with the pseudochromis. I had read otherwise online of course. So I brought the Gramma home but he did not survive more than two days. I'm suspecting that the Gramma was sick from the LFS since we have had previous similar experiences, but I could not say for sure that it wasn't due to stress or fighting.

Note: I only trust about 32 % of the things that come out of my LFS's mouth.

Prolly not helpful but my two cents.

My royal gramma was in my tank before I added a cleaner shrimp. The gramma had staked out a little cave in the rock and he rarely ventures too far from it. When I added the cleaner shrimp he made the mistake of wandering into the gramma's cave, and he got dragged back out by the whiskers hehe. That was the only aggression that I saw between them. Now the cleaner stays out of there and no problems at all. The gramma won't let himself be cleaned though.

My gamma and small cleaner are fine together, I was more worried about my serpent star because I feed him freeze dried krill

Note: I only trust about 32 % of the things that come out of my LFS's mouth.

That is alot of trust

I have the opposite problem; my cleaner shrimp is stalking my royal gramma and keeps grabbing him. I don't know why - is it aggression or cleaning behaviour? Either way, the royal gramma doesn't like the attention. Now the cleaner has taken to sitting outside the gramma's cave and waiting for him to come out. What is going on?!

Back
Top Bottom