Shrimps shredding/changing shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 peppermint shrimps and a red line cleaner skunk the are like changing shells every week.

I can see these abandoned shell almost EVERY week is this normal? Do they change their shell that often? I only have 3 shrimps imagine I have more I won't be able to cope moving those old exo-skeletons. They are stuck everywhere, on the powerhead, skimmer intake, rocks etc etc.

Is this a good sign or not? Does that mean something wrong with my water parameters? I dose iodine supplement once a week. Has thig got anything to do with that?

Thanks for your help mate. Just a little bit worry...

Molting is normal and your cleanup crew will take care of the old shell. I find if i dose iodine my cleaner shrimp molts shortly there after so may be don't dose so often.

They tend to molt more often when new to the tank. Mine did it about every 2-3 weeks.
Canyon is right, they and the clean up crew should take care of the molts. Maybe you can remove the ones stuck to the intakes or just drop them back into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom