Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-22-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
Shrooms question

Ok so i have some leather in my tank and just got a few mushrooms to put in there. now every reef tank i see has a wall willed with corals and i would like that. but i know that leathers like to put toxins in the water to kill others. can i put mushrooms next to the leathers or will it try to kill it. what could i do to prevent it from releasing toxins? and if there is noting i could do how far would it have to be for it not to know it was there? thanks for your help

A 46 gal bow front (Soft coral) reef tank with a 10 gal sump. And a 30 gal (SPS and Clam) reef tank hooked up to the sump of the 46 so they share water.
WarOrks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:46 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
I have 2 species of mushrooms in close proximity with a large finger leather. They don't touch tho. Most all corals play with chemical warfare. Keep them from touching and well fed and you should be OK.

Anemoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
I have a mushroom living that has settled right underneath my huge Sinularia finger leather. All leathers produce toxins to some degree or another, some more than others. I don't think that the other corals proximity to the leather is that much of a deal as the level of toxins in the water. You can help keep chemical warfare like this in check with regular water changes, skimming and running GAC 24/7. On another note, I'm not sure that pouring a bottle of cyanide in the tank would affect the mushrooms those things seem almost indestructible.
Brad C.
jackdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I wish that were the case...mushrooms are indestructible...I bought a peice of LR with one little one on it and it has almost disappated away. My tank is FOWLR so dont know that the conditions are perfect. Only been set up for 4 months now. I still have yet to see much coraline growth on the LR so I must be doing something wrong. any suggestions are welcome
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
As far as the proximity of the shrooms to the leather.....Think how many times in one hour your filter and power heads "turns" your tank. If its a reef, your suppose to turn it over no less than 10 times in one hour. If you have a 55 gallon tank that your "turning" 10 times an hour, you are moving 13,200 gallons every day "through" the tank. Its not really going to matter where you put the corals...if there is toxins in the water, they will have 13,200 chances to come into contact with the corals in the tank.

Now..the good news. The toxins are very easy to remove. Activated Carbon....Dont listen to the people that tell you that its only good for 48hours. I used to believe them until I did my own research. Your going to get anywhere from a week to two weeks out of each batch of carbon once its in the tank. Put the carbon in a high flow area and let it do its thing.

Short story on this topic. I bought a leather coral about a month ago. In the store it was about 15-18 inches tall and had a crown just as wide. When I put it in my tank, my other corals closed up over night. A week later, they were still like that. It killed my toad stool and my finger leather. Obviously something had to be done..it was pretty obvious what was doing it since everything had been doing so well before the new arrival. Water change and a big batch of carbon. 2 days later, everything was back to normal and has been ever since.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com