Shut down tank, how to preserve Bio-wheels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

contactpsb

Aquarium Advice Regular
We just moved our 55gal SW inhabitants into a larger tank and now I have the old tank siphoned down to about 6inches of water, and plan to give it a major cleaning before deciding what to move into it. I am wondering, if I decide to do another SW tank, should I get fresh wheels and start over from scratch or try to preserve these (and if I do how long will they keep)? I have them sitting in a tupperware in about 1 inch of tank water right now. The gravel is really nasty, and I plan to either get rid of it or do a major cleaning under the faucet. (It was this way when I got it, I couldn't wait to get my new tank up and running and move those fish so I could give this algae ridden tank an overhaul!)

If I should decide to so FW instead of SW then I assume I'd need to get fresh wheels for sure, right?

If the newly cleaned tank will be SW and contain LR, I wouldn't even bother with the biowheels. They will not be needed. Given a sufficient amount of LR (about 1½ lbs/gal) and a 1-1½" sandbed, your filtration needs will be covered for the most part depending on eventual inhabitants.

I would also suggest you nix the current substrate (CC?) and get some new oolitic aragonite sand instead. Much easier to maintain and will not cause issues later on.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom