Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Shy Clowns?

Just bought first fish, an ocellaris clown, and it's just hiding behind the rocks in the back corner. It has 2 anemones (one bubble tip and one carpet) to choose from and no other fish in the tank. I guess I'm just surprised that a clown would be shy and hide like that. Is that typical for a fish that has just been moved?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Thanx but no.....

Actually typical for any living thing, fish included. He needs to adjust to his new surroundings. Turn the lights off and he'll explore some and get more comfortable. Regarding the anemones, it's hit or miss and takes time. Some never will take to one.

What kind of tank do you have? How old is it?

Old 12-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 120 (4' x 2' x 2'). About 150 lb. base rock and live rock. Refugium sump. Cleanup crew in place. It's been about 4 weeks set up now. Chemistry looks good so far as I can tell (8.2, NH3 undetectable, NO2 undetectable, NO3 about 10, Ca about 400, sg 1.025).

Just tried to feed the anemones for the first time. Put a piece of silversides on the bubble tip and the cleaner shrimp ran in and stole it. Carpet took his piece OK and has it wrapped up right now. I wasn't sure how much to give them. Each got about half of a silversides and I'm wondering if that's a bit much, at least for the bubble tip.

Put mysis shrimp in and the clown is not touching it.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

These show the carpet and bubble tip anemones, the clown in his corner, and the overall tank view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	build4 001web.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	16635   Click image for larger version

Name:	build4 002web.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	16636  

Click image for larger version

Name:	build4 003web.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	16637   Click image for larger version

Name:	build4 004web.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	16638  

Old 12-21-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
He'll be ok like Captain said just needs time to adjust it took my two when i got them 2 days before they started exploring.
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Thanx but no.....

I'd be more worried about the anemones in such a new tank. If you're only 4 weeks in you're still due for an algae spike (esp at 10 already). Those guys aren't gonna be happy. Also wondering what the clean up crew is eating? Not sure how many you have but with one fish there's not much cleaning up to do.

Luv the pic of the clown peeking around the corner though. Short of gobies, clowns are my favorites
Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Clean up crew is eating everything. I had a nice layer of brown (diatoms?) early on and they cleaned every speck of it. Anything that thinks about growing on the rocks is gone in a heartbeat. I've had some green color show up on the rocks and glass but the snails are generally on it right away. I'll be adding a few more ocellaris and doing frequent water changes. Hope that keeps it clean enough. Skimmer is working great.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Captain. The tank is rather new to house 2 anemones. Keep a very close eye on your water parameters and be prepared to frequent PWCs to keep the water in check. Anemones require extremely good water conditions along with strong lighting.

2 clowns is all you need in your tank. More then that and you will have a fight on your hands.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I killed Nemo. I'm guessing my choice of healthy fish from the LFS wasn't so good. Did a good sized (25%) PWC, checked and rechecked chemistry, and got a pair of Ocellaris. Both fed right away, get along well, and seem quite content. I suspect the first ocellaris was ill to start. Found another store and noticed that their fish seemed a lot healthier. Chemistry is still really good. I think SG may have been a bit high at 1.026 and now it's 1.024 with RO as a base. Cleaner shrimp, cleanup crew, and anemones seem OK. Carpet anemone has already eaten twice. Bubble tip anemone found a niche where I set him and he's anchored in for the long haul. The carpet is presently on the move. I suspect he might want some more light. I'll just let them find their own places and once they're settled in, and if the water chemistry is near perfection, I'll look at tangs and corals.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nice pictures!!!

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com