Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via Yahoo to mike0179
Shy Feather Dusters

I bought a 5 pound piece of Fuji live rock about a month ago. After a bit of re-aquascaping, i have noticed 3 very... very ...tiny feather dusters on one side (side i could not see before.)

after a few days of observation I’ve noticed that they rarely come out. In fact I’ve only seen them out of their "shells" (what is the correct term?) for a total of 5 or 10 min in 3 days. Is this normal behavior? Are my dusters sick or unhappy?

Also, since I would assume these are growing and not dying what do they eat? I’ve heard they need things like brine shrimp nauplii, rotifers... to survive (and only that). I have not been supplementing them any food but they seem to be doing okay for now.

Is this normal behavior and what should I be feeding my newfound friends?

mike0179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
They live in tubes, and get nourishment from water changes as well as when you feed the tank. As for why they aren't coming out, could be due to you moving the rock around. Maybe they are not happy there. Different light, different flow area. If they aren't happy, they will move. I wouldn't worry much.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
As fluff said they are filter feeders. They will be OK.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, feather duster

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com