Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sick clownfish?

Ok let me just say THIS IS NOT MY CLOWNFISH AND I DON'T OWN A SALTWATER TANK

This is my biology teacher's. I visited my future biology teacher because I wanted to check out his tank and he showed me it and he had I'd say about a 40-50 gallon tank. He only had one fish in it, it was the standard clownfish and it was dying!

We tested the water and it was normal and I asked him if his salinity level was fine and he said it was. He doesn't have any anemones in the tank. Don't clownfish need to go through a hosting process or something?

Could you tell me what's wrong with his clownfish

Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am gonna visit him tomorrow too because I think he is impressed because I know more about fish than the other kids in my grade and we're trying to save his clownfish

The clownfishs gills are red. Doesn't that mean bad water quality? He said his params are perfect and he does weekly water changes. There's only 1 fish in the tank as well so it's nowhere near being overstocked

Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The clownfish is kind of floundering and sitting on the bottom of the tank. He has been like that for a few days my biology teacher says
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clowns don't actually NEED to have an anemone. They'll do fine without one. When he says his water parameters are "fine", what does that mean exactly? An actual number reading would be more helpful in trying to help the fish. Need numbers for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, salinity, temp of tank. Red gills sounds like maybe he has ammonia in his system, which burns the gills. If ammonia or nitrite is anything other than 0, he needs to do a PWC ASAP.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl
Clowns don't actually NEED to have an anemone. They'll do fine without one. When he says his water parameters are "fine", what does that mean exactly? An actual number reading would be more helpful in trying to help the fish. Need numbers for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, salinity, temp of tank. Red gills sounds like maybe he has ammonia in his system, which burns the gills. If ammonia or nitrite is anything other than 0, he needs to do a PWC ASAP.
I know that that's why I brought it up I also know numbers apply to reading water. His ammonia is most likely 0ppm but even if its .25 or higher, clownfish are supposed to be hardy
Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are fairly strong fish, but water parameters in saltwater need to stay in check across the board. If he is not testing his water regularly, it is impossible to say things are fine. Doing a weekly water change does not guarantee anything (it helps though).

How long has this tank been set up? I hope I am wrong, but am guessing recently and the red gills are from exposure to high levels while the tank was cycling.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

He tests it a ton he has a whole can with testers and we even tested it together but not nitrates which may be too high
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The tank is not new it's been up for years and the clownfish has been in the tank for a year or two as well
Old 10-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates are what you want to keep as close to zero as possible after the tank has cycled (which it has if it is that old). Water changes help with that. What kind of filter is he using? If its at a school, I'm guessing canister or a hang-on? If so, how frequently does he clean it ? Those can cause nitrates if not cleaned frequently.

I'm trying to figure out what it could be if the water parameters are good. One fish in a tank for that long makes disease seem unlikely. I'm not an expert in that area.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like a slightly neglected tank as there is only 1 fish in there and no corals etc.

What kind of filter if attached to it. Like Todd said what ever it is it might need to be cleaned. It's possible that the the filter isn't doing its job properly and the ammonia isn't geting broken down as it should.

Tags
clown, clownfish, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com