Sick clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok let me just say THIS IS NOT MY CLOWNFISH AND I DON'T OWN A SALTWATER TANK

This is my biology teacher's. I visited my future biology teacher because I wanted to check out his tank and he showed me it and he had I'd say about a 40-50 gallon tank. He only had one fish in it, it was the standard clownfish and it was dying!

We tested the water and it was normal and I asked him if his salinity level was fine and he said it was. He doesn't have any anemones in the tank. Don't clownfish need to go through a hosting process or something?

Could you tell me what's wrong with his clownfish

I am gonna visit him tomorrow too because I think he is impressed because I know more about fish than the other kids in my grade and we're trying to save his clownfish

The clownfishs gills are red. Doesn't that mean bad water quality? He said his params are perfect and he does weekly water changes. There's only 1 fish in the tank as well so it's nowhere near being overstocked

The clownfish is kind of floundering and sitting on the bottom of the tank. He has been like that for a few days my biology teacher says

Clowns don't actually NEED to have an anemone. They'll do fine without one. When he says his water parameters are "fine", what does that mean exactly? An actual number reading would be more helpful in trying to help the fish. Need numbers for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, salinity, temp of tank. Red gills sounds like maybe he has ammonia in his system, which burns the gills. If ammonia or nitrite is anything other than 0, he needs to do a PWC ASAP.

Beengirl said:
Clowns don't actually NEED to have an anemone. They'll do fine without one. When he says his water parameters are "fine", what does that mean exactly? An actual number reading would be more helpful in trying to help the fish. Need numbers for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, salinity, temp of tank. Red gills sounds like maybe he has ammonia in his system, which burns the gills. If ammonia or nitrite is anything other than 0, he needs to do a PWC ASAP.

I know that that's why I brought it up I also know numbers apply to reading water. His ammonia is most likely 0ppm but even if its .25 or higher, clownfish are supposed to be hardy

They are fairly strong fish, but water parameters in saltwater need to stay in check across the board. If he is not testing his water regularly, it is impossible to say things are fine. Doing a weekly water change does not guarantee anything (it helps though).

How long has this tank been set up? I hope I am wrong, but am guessing recently and the red gills are from exposure to high levels while the tank was cycling.

He tests it a ton he has a whole can with testers and we even tested it together but not nitrates which may be too high

The tank is not new it's been up for years and the clownfish has been in the tank for a year or two as well

Nitrates are what you want to keep as close to zero as possible after the tank has cycled (which it has if it is that old). Water changes help with that. What kind of filter is he using? If its at a school, I'm guessing canister or a hang-on? If so, how frequently does he clean it ? Those can cause nitrates if not cleaned frequently.

I'm trying to figure out what it could be if the water parameters are good. One fish in a tank for that long makes disease seem unlikely. I'm not an expert in that area.

Sounds like a slightly neglected tank as there is only 1 fish in there and no corals etc.

What kind of filter if attached to it. Like Todd said what ever it is it might need to be cleaned. It's possible that the the filter isn't doing its job properly and the ammonia isn't geting broken down as it should.

begginersluck said:
Sounds like a slightly neglected tank as there is only 1 fish in there and no corals etc.

What kind of filter if attached to it. Like Todd said what ever it is it might need to be cleaned. It's possible that the the filter isn't doing its job properly and the ammonia isn't geting broken down as it should.

Just because it has one fish and no corals doesn't mean it is neglected- I have a single betta and no plants in one of my fresh tanks and it's not neglected
It sounds like you are using strips, which are inaccurate.

Not sure if I'm reading wrong but petco handbook says nitrates need a reading of at most 20-25ppm

Correct. As low as possible is what to strive for. Zero is ideal. Frequent Water changes help. Once the tank has cycled, it's the nitrates that will rise. Generally ammonia and nitrites will stay zero.

For some reason I had this idea that there has to be a nitrate reading for your tank to be cycled? Idk someone told me that in yahoo

Bobjoefredsky said:
For some reason I had this idea that there has to be a nitrate reading for your tank to be cycled? Idk someone told me that in yahoo

That's when you are "cycling". When you first set up you will have ammonia readings then get nitrite (sometimes at the same time) then nitrates HOWEVER, the tank is not considered fully cycled until ammonia and nitrites are at 0.

What is the pH?

nikki_kaiser said:
That's when you are "cycling". When you first set up you will have ammonia readings then get nitrite (sometimes at the same time) then nitrates HOWEVER, the tank is not considered fully cycled until ammonia and nitrites are at 0.

What is the pH?

That is something I completely forgot to ask about. I will ask him on Monday. Thanks

If he hasn't added any snails or other live things recently, and his ammonia levels and nitrite levels are at 0, I would look at pH (could be too high or too low), oxygen levels (depletion of oxygen can cause their gills to turn red), test for nitrates, and even use a better quality dechlorinator if he's not already. Do a decent clean up of substrate and filters, and a partial water change.

If you can eliminate water quality or issues, then it sounds like a bacterial infection to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom