Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
This probably doesn't have anything to do with it but your tank is a little small for your butterfly n foxface. IMO

Grease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Galentino925 View Post
My Saltwater is a 55 gallon with dead coral and a fake coral piece from petsmart, and it has been up for about 1 1/2 months. I tested the water and found out that the nitrates and nitrites were high, so I got a treatment to help fix that. The pH and Ammonia in the tank were at the right levels. I'm not geting anymore fish until I'm 100% positive that no one else is going to die and the parameters are back in order.
What "treatment" did you get to fix the nitrites and nitrates. PWCs are what is needed, not chemicals.

Beengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
PS- "not getting anymore fish until..." I'm not fish policing or hating, just trying to offer a helpful opinion. Your tank was already overstocked. Having damsels can lead to disaster, and unfortunately, Grease is right; the foxface and butterfly could use a bigger tank.

As mentioned, do partial water changes. Test your water everyday. Get everything under control. Research Research Research. Then reevaluate. Good luck!
75 Gallon Reef
Psychocircus91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie
The tank has been cycled pretty well, and I tested the weter again just five minutes ago and the nitrites were just a little high, so I put more Nitrite and Nitrate Reducer in the tank.
Galentino925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do nit put anymore chemicals in there do water changes and when you listed all those fish for a tank that had been setup for a 1 1/2 months I hate to say this but asking for trouble. You have to go slow when adding fish into a new tank. It takes over a good month for a cycle to complete.
mwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
Too much too fast. Slow down. Do lots of water changes with rodi to get your parameters in check. Don't add ANY more chemicals to your tank, your doing more harm than good, especially in the long run. Do your research online, ash your questions here.
MyR6Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
If your tank is cycled, then you should have zero nitrites and zero ammonia. It cant possibly be "cycled pretty well" if those are still there. You mention that levels are okay or high, but are not giving us levels. Are you testing or is a LFS? Can you please give actual numbers?

Agreed that adding chemicals is not the answer. We have a problem here and need to figure out what is causing the problem. Putting a band aid on it will not solve the problem in the long run.

TheTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

angel, angelfish, coral, coral beauty, ick, sick, sick coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com