Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sick Sebae Anemone

I posted a thread yesterday on what I thought and was told is a Malu anemone which turns out to be a Sebae!

I am thinking about quarantining the anemone and need to know whether my 50 litre spare aquarium would do?

Reason for quarantine / getting bashed around by clowns and power heads!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the answer would depend on what type of light you have in your QT. anemones get most of their nutrition from photosynthesis, if not enough light, it will bleach out and die.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The anemone in already bleached really bad. I want to try saving the nem but if it does die I don't want it dying in my main tank!

I have an Aquaray 1000 hd I can put over the QT.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The size of the tank seems fine, if that's what your asking. I'm not familiar with those lights, though. But I guess it's better to try the nem in the other tank with the light rather than just chuck it, right? If it does die, at least it won't pollute your whole tank! How it works out for you!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl
The size of the tank seems fine, if that's what your asking. I'm not familiar with those lights, though. But I guess it's better to try the nem in the other tank with the light rather than just chuck it, right? If it does die, at least it won't pollute your whole tank! How it works out for you!
I agree with that! I'm not up for chucking it out I want to give it a chance in a less stressy place!

I need to figure out filtration next and make sure I'm doing water changes to keep the water pristine!

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
Old 10-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I googled the light and if you have the one I read, it says the LED white lights are 14000k, so I do believe that will work for the nem !! I'm no light expert, I've only used stock lights and Kessil LEDs, so I'm really hoping that's right!!! Now we just gotta hope the nem hasn't already expelled all if it s zooxanthellea (spelling?) and can recover. If its already all expelled, there's nothing you can do, really. FINGERS CROSSED!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I googled the light and if you have the one I read, it says the LED white lights are 14000k, so I do believe that will work for the nem !! I'm no light expert, I've only used stock lights and Kessil LEDs, so I'm really hoping that's right!!! Now we just gotta hope the nem hasn't already expelled all if it s zooxanthellea (spelling?) and can recover. If its already all expelled, there's nothing you can do, really. FINGERS CROSSED!!!
Is there any way of knowing if its expelled all its zoox? Do the usually deflate?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it has expelled all of it, it will die no matter what light you give it. But I've herd people say that they've taking nems they thought were beyond help and brought them back. If it has even a little bit of zooxanthellea left, it will spread through the rest of he nem under the right conditions. But it takes a lot of time. My GBTA was kinda bleached when I got him a little while back. Here's some pics of day I got him:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2670303646.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	124983

And today:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-79797505.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	124984

He's become a lovely brown with green tips under my LEDs!! Hopefully that can happen for yours too!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
If it has expelled all of it, it will die no matter what light you give it. But I've herd people say that they've taking nems they thought were beyond help and brought them back. If it has even a little bit of zooxanthellea left, it will spread through the rest of he nem under the right conditions. But it takes a lot of time. My GBTA was kinda bleached when I got him a little while back. Here's some pics of day I got him:

And today:

He's become a lovely brown with green tips under my LEDs!! Hopefully that can happen for yours too!!!
Time is fine with me as long as I try il be happy!

I'm going to set this QT up this week and get him on the mend.

Can you recommend a filter for this size tank? I'm guessing I won't need much as its only for the nem?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

As per my iPhone app, cuz I don't know metric, 50L seems to be about 13 gal. So I would go with at least a 20 g filter. Not like you're going to be throwing food in there, after all. I wouldn't wait too long to set it up, cuz I've heard that nems can go bad REALLY fast. Never had it happen, but I've heard that. Try seeding the filter with some media from your other tank's filter if you can. That'll help with the BB. then just keep an eye on the water parameters and do PWC as needed. And keep an eye on the nem too, of course. good luck!!

Tags
anemone, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com