Sickof Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knuff27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 2-3 inch deep sand bed in my 55 gallon tank and am thinking of switching over to a more heavy substrate. The sand gets easily blown around by my maxi jet 1200's and it continually ends up on my live rock and masks the coloration. I blow it off with a baster, but it happens once again within a day or two. Has anyone else had this problem? How difficult or hard on my livestock will it be if I switch to a heavier substrate by changing half and then the other half two weeks later? Thanks in advance.

switching to what, crushed coral?
that's a step backwards. CC traps detris, is hard to vaccum, so you end up with high nitrates all the time.
plus any sand sifters are going to get scraped up by it.

your power heads should be angled slightly up, as to agitate the surface of the water to improve gas exchange. that should reduce direct bottom current and stop your sand blowing.
I have 2 MJ 1200's in my 40gallon (only 3feet long, instead of 4feet like your 55g) and my sand si fine, unless the MJ comes un-suctioned.

Changing substrate is always a problem. There will be a disruption in the natural bacteria bed and biological filtration. Try to reposition your power heads so it does not effect the sand so much. I have very fine sand in my reef and do not have a problem, even with a return pump and three maxi-jet 1200s. Try to find another solution before you change the substrate.

I had the same problem in my 29 with 2 MJ900's in there. I did exactly as mentioned above and angled them up and it solved the issue!

try putting hydor flo's on you powerheads to randomize the currents, that should help sand from blowing around as the current isn't working to erode one spot all the time.

bigsky said:
try putting hydor flo's on you powerheads to randomize the currents, that should help sand from blowing around as the current isn't working to erode one spot all the time.

I have since taken most of my hydor's off due to them blowing my fine sand around...

Have a DSB in my 55, it blew around for awhile but it did settle down over time. Now if I adjust a PH it will move a bit of sand around but it clears much faster now maybe in a day two at most and the water is crystal clear. A little bit on the LR i just blow off but it does settle down

Liz

Back
Top Bottom