Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Side rims or no rims?

I am buying a 6 foot x 1.5 f widex 2f high tank and have the option whether to have it rimless or with corner rims to add extra protection. I must admit it doesn't look nice with the rim but feel better that the corners are reinforced.

With this tank 2 foot high they are using 10mm glass is it ok or safe if I don't want the corner rims? Will a tank give way easily without the rims? Or just depend the type of silicone they use?

I need to make a decision today since they just starting building it up for me. Please help... Thanks in advance.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, as an engineer I'd go for the rims, especially on a tank that size. I could engage everybody in a discussion on force vectors and hydrostatic and hydrodynamic pressures but I'll spare you the pain.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

On second thought, is the tank glass or acryllic?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It is a glass tank therefore I am a bit worry. The glass is 10mm think I am not worry about that just the corners I am worry it can't withstand the force of the water pressure. If there are rims there will be extra layer of silicone there to re-inforce it but it WILL NOT look nice.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, as an engineer as well, and knowing a few tank builders, If you mean the bits of angle on the corners don't bother..They are for cosmetic purposes only and offer absolutly no structural strength whatsoever.
If you mean the strapping around the top edges of the tank that the lids sit on, yes bother. it is essential as it IS a main part of the structural strength of the tank.

Quote:
they are using 10mm glass is it ok or safe if I don't want the corner rims?
Yes it is safe. btw any tank above 20" high is required to have 10mm+ glass.
What I did was had the front glass panel glued on with black silicone..and if they are a good tank builder it will be trimmed in a nice neat line and look fantastic.

Quote:
I could engage everybody in a discussion on force vectors and hydrostatic and hydrodynamic pressures but I'll spare you the pain.
Please do..I'm interested to see how you can justify that this tank needs the corner bracing..(If I understand correctly that is what this person is talking about)

weekf, where in australia are you? If west coast I may be able to suggest some great tank builders who will save you the cost of buying from a shop.. If East coast or thereabouts I can at least point you in the right direction if you are not aware of it already..

HTH

Matt.
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info Matt!!! It does make sense come to think of it. The re-inforcement should be made on the top part. I did ask the tank builder if it is ok to have the top 2 strips of glass running from front to back to be removed he also said NO otherwise the tank will break because it simply will not hold. He also said I can choose not to have side rims as well.

I am from Perth, Australia where are you from Matt? From Australia too? Thanks for the advice I will get rid of the rims. They are currently in the process of building up this tank for me and I have a lots of other questions posted would you also help me to answer them as well? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

sure thing mate,
I am in perth to, down in port kennedy..
What are you stocking with?
Are you aware of the perth cichlid society and Western Cichlids?

Out of interest who is building the tank? I know a few builders if you haven't spoken to them also.. shoot me a pm if you don't want to discuss it here

Matty
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
Old 08-24-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

haha nevermind, I just realised you are going with saltwater :P

btw this is not essential with 10mm glass but I would also opt to have strapping put across the top of the sides as well..Again it's not vital but it helps if something happens with the lids, ie something resting on them etc etc..
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
Old 08-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am in Langford. I will be stocking it with a few tangs and for the time being will only be a FOWLR tank as tangs might not do well and need medications. I have got another 75 litres nano with a clown fish, some corals and a cleaner shrimp just the shrimp alone cost me A$140.00 This small 75litre high sea horse tank has been running for 8 months with no problem but too small for tangs therefore I am building this big one now JUST for the tangs may be other fishes as well.

I don't think I can opt the 2 glass straps in the middle to put them on the sides because this is a 6 foot tank. I think it needs something to support the middle part of the tank I am not sure if I am right.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think it needs something to support the middle part of the tank I am not sure if I am right.
It sure does, most 6footers will have two centre braces as you said..
What I mean is having the 1" strapping around the top of the tank running all the way around instead of just on the front and back.

Can I ask who is building it? Reason I ask is because my "builder" is in Lynwood.

Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis

Tags
rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com