Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

the reason i'm not adding sand during the curing process is because the stuff that's dead and falls off will be much easier to vaccum if I have a bare bottom tank.

Old 06-18-2004, 03:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well from what Ive learned the whole puropse to letting your tank cycle is to build up a bacteria bed in the sand. Thats your filtration. Also the stuff thats on the rock that is going to die isnt much in the first place and what does die is not going to be a problem on your sand. You dont need a vaccum in a SW tank so keep that for your FW stuff.

JMC I dont know why your LFS told you to do that. You must have some bio balls or a HOB filter with media in it. That must be where your bacteria is liveing. But yeah if you havent added sand yet and are almost done with your cycle youll want to add it when you add your next rock or before then add your rock and start weining off your filters what ever your useing.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:42 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I'm just going to add a couple comments.

When folks say not to "waste money on argonite sand" they are refering to wasting money on the $25 for a 10 pound bag of CarbiSea argonite sand. It is GROSLY overpriced, it's just sand. Argonite sand, if you can get it, is IMO the best substrate you can have in a SW aquarium. It is what you find on the ocean floor. It provides Ph buffering for you aquarium. It's soft edged and varied size grains provide a haven for substrate fauna (which you want and need), and it just looks good to boot you can get cheap argonite sand from many walmart and Home Depot Stores. You looking for a 50 pound bag of "Old Castle", "Yard Right" or "Southdown" Play Sand. (See This thread for much of the discussion, microscopic comparisons of the sand, and locations of stores that folks have found the sand in)

IMO, you should have sand in the tank for the cycle. The LR and the LS are what become your tanks biological filtration. You might as well build them both at the same time, otherwise you're simply prolonging your wait before the system is ready. An algae bloom is going to happen regardless. You typical clean-up crew of snails/starfish should handle most of it. No need for vacuming.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. I'll keep these things in mind. Keep in mind all my info has been coming from "The New Marine Aquarium: Step by Step Setup and Stocking Guide", and assumes I'm getting un-cured LR.

I'll look around for argonite sand. I paid $3 for 50lbs of silica sand...should argonite playsand be the same price range?
I can always put the playsand to use elsewhere
Old 06-19-2004, 08:44 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Add the sand. The algae bloom won't really affect anything with the sand. Once the tank has cycled and is in check, the algae will slowly die off by itself. You shouldn't need to clean anything in the tank besides the front glass.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com