Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
cerulean_blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
One the does NOT have a fungus inhibitor like most bathroom silicone. That's toxic.
I'm assuming a glass sump. Otherwise if it's acrylic use acrylic glue instead.
Crap! So I just used GE Silicone II on my DIY Aqua clear 70 refugium. It said it was non-toxic, but now after reading this and doing further research I don't want to risk it.

Do you guys think I can just remove the silicone from the refugium, replace with aquarium safe silicone, and put back my chaeto & LR?
__________________

cerulean_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerulean_blue

Crap! So I just used GE Silicone II on my DIY Aqua clear 70 refugium. It said it was non-toxic, but now after reading this and doing further research I don't want to risk it.

Do you guys think I can just remove the silicone from the refugium, replace with aquarium safe silicone, and put back my chaeto & LR?
If you can scrape it all off it should be ok. Just get every bit of it.
__________________

__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
If it says to use for potable water sources it is okay for aquariums. No fungicides.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerulean_blue

Crap! So I just used GE Silicone II on my DIY Aqua clear 70 refugium. It said it was non-toxic, but now after reading this and doing further research I don't want to risk it.

Do you guys think I can just remove the silicone from the refugium, replace with aquarium safe silicone, and put back my chaeto & LR?
No mold or mildew resistant i always use ge silicone 1
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Question Silicone to make slate caves

I am so confused because I have read many say they have used GE Silicone I and they had no problems but I just bought some and made sure I read the ity bity print and it says, "5. Allow at least 12 hours before exposing caulk to water. Not for use below the water line or aquariums." So I am hesitating to use this now to put my slate caves together...any suggestions?
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Madreefer420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 205
Ge 1 100% silicone window and door white or clear and there is NO mold inhibitor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2828909086.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	120322  
__________________
Madreefer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronica
I am so confused because I have read many say they have used GE Silicone I and they had no problems but I just bought some and made sure I read the ity bity print and it says, "5. Allow at least 12 hours before exposing caulk to water. Not for use below the water line or aquariums." So I am hesitating to use this now to put my slate caves together...any suggestions?
I always have used the ge silicone 1 this is what most people i know use its perfectly safe
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
CorallineAlgae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer420
Ge 1 100% silicone window and door white or clear and there is NO mold inhibitor
Can't beat a post with an actual picture of the tube in front of the tank.

Love the cleaner wrasse! I had one for four years. Hard to train to eat sometimes but mine would munch down anything right out of my hand.
__________________
CorallineAlgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Madreefer420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae

Can't beat a post with an actual picture of the tube in front of the tank.

Love the cleaner wrasse! I had one for four years. Hard to train to eat sometimes but mine would munch down anything right out of my hand.
Yea I used it to re seal my back overflow when I bought my 160 cube and yea the wrasse is awesome bud he loves my arm hair
__________________
Madreefer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Madreefer420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 205
And I never had a problem gettin him to eat had him oh prolly 3 years now
__________________

__________________
Madreefer420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
silicone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.