silicone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusAaron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. What silicone do u recomend for putting a sump together

One the does NOT have a fungus inhibitor like most bathroom silicone. That's toxic.
I'm assuming a glass sump. Otherwise if it's acrylic use acrylic glue instead.

Yeah its glass mate. Ill check ouy whats at the hardware shop

They sell "aquarium" silicone on drs foster and smith, but the GE I think type 1 works for me (I tested it on a FW tank first)

Cheers guys. I found a suitable one that says for aquarium use. Now to change my sump..

There's a kind at lowes in a small tube that says on the package "aquarium safe" that I've used several times in building sumps and aquarium decor that's rather well priced. I can find an old package or tube if you'd like to know the brand. But it's in the Glues section of the store in a blue package

cashmoney6980 said:
There's a kind at lowes in a small tube that says on the package "aquarium safe" that I've used several times in building sumps and aquarium decor that's rather well priced. I can find an old package or tube if you'd like to know the brand. But it's in the Glues section of the store in a blue package

I know the tube you're talking about. I've used the same one from Lowes and never had a problem. They also carry a full sized canister that works with a caulking gun.

One the does NOT have a fungus inhibitor like most bathroom silicone. That's toxic.
I'm assuming a glass sump. Otherwise if it's acrylic use acrylic glue instead.

Crap! So I just used GE Silicone II on my DIY Aqua clear 70 refugium. It said it was non-toxic, but now after reading this and doing further research I don't want to risk it.

Do you guys think I can just remove the silicone from the refugium, replace with aquarium safe silicone, and put back my chaeto & LR?

cerulean_blue said:
Crap! So I just used GE Silicone II on my DIY Aqua clear 70 refugium. It said it was non-toxic, but now after reading this and doing further research I don't want to risk it.

Do you guys think I can just remove the silicone from the refugium, replace with aquarium safe silicone, and put back my chaeto & LR?

If you can scrape it all off it should be ok. Just get every bit of it.

cerulean_blue said:

No mold or mildew resistant i always use ge silicone 1

Silicone to make slate caves

I am so confused because I have read many say they have used GE Silicone I and they had no problems but I just bought some and made sure I read the ity bity print and it says, "5. Allow at least 12 hours before exposing caulk to water. Not for use below the water line or aquariums." So I am hesitating to use this now to put my slate caves together...any suggestions?

Ge 1 100% silicone window and door white or clear and there is NO mold inhibitor

Attachments

• image-2828909086.jpg
    image-2828909086.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 90
Geronica said:
I am so confused because I have read many say they have used GE Silicone I and they had no problems but I just bought some and made sure I read the ity bity print and it says, "5. Allow at least 12 hours before exposing caulk to water. Not for use below the water line or aquariums." So I am hesitating to use this now to put my slate caves together...any suggestions?

I always have used the ge silicone 1 this is what most people i know use its perfectly safe

Madreefer420 said:
Ge 1 100% silicone window and door white or clear and there is NO mold inhibitor

Can't beat a post with an actual picture of the tube in front of the tank.

Love the cleaner wrasse! I had one for four years. Hard to train to eat sometimes but mine would munch down anything right out of my hand.

CorallineAlgae said:
Can't beat a post with an actual picture of the tube in front of the tank.

Love the cleaner wrasse! I had one for four years. Hard to train to eat sometimes but mine would munch down anything right out of my hand.

Yea I used it to re seal my back overflow when I bought my 160 cube and yea the wrasse is awesome bud he loves my arm hair

Back
Top Bottom