silicone curing time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marquis

Aquarium Advice Freak
my silicone says 48 hours before its cured after 56 i could still smell chemical odor does this mean its not cured?

What silicone are you using? I've used GE I to make my sump. I added water after 24 hours. I remember a feint vinegar smell after the 24 hours; but nothing strong as when you first use it.

AquaRick said:
What silicone are you using? I've used GE I to make my sump. I added water after 24 hours. I remember a feint vinegar smell after the 24 hours; but nothing strong as when you first use it.

im using mainland aquarium sealant 100 percent silicone rubber

I used aquarium sealant on the baffles in my sump. When I tested after 24 hours it wasnt cured. Next time waited 48 and was good to go with no smell.

i should b more specific i bought a used over flow the guy had used nuts and bolts to fasten the two pieces together lol i removed the rust metal and glued it with silicone i know it doesnt bond well to acrylic but the piece i glued is holding zero water and zero weight

spoonman said:
I used aquarium sealant on the baffles in my sump. When I tested after 24 hours it wasnt cured. Next time waited 48 and was good to go with no smell.

its been 3 full days now and faint smell is still there so still not cured?

i should b more specific i bought a used over flow the guy had used nuts and bolts to fasten the two pieces together lol i removed the rust metal and glued it with silicone i know it doesnt bond well to acrylic but the piece i glued is holding zero water and zero weight

Are you using it to keep the 2 acrylic pieces together, or is the silicone in contact with the glass tank?

AquaRick said:
You're fine. More than 2 days is plenty fine for the silicone to cure.

i hope i don't wanna kill my whole tank

AquaRick said:
Are you using it to keep the 2 acrylic pieces together, or is the silicone in contact with the glass tank?

two pieces of acrylic no glass

ForumRunner_20120315_011130.jpg

just had a thought since i glued 2 pieces together and its not just one bead along a seam could it just be taking longer to cure because the silicon is not in direct contact with the air?

im gonna wait another day seems like everyone is in bed

I just re-sealed a 15g slate bottom. I let it cure for 36 hours water tested and everything is fine. I'll be setting up my tank tomorrow hopefully.

AquaRick said:
If it's just an acrylic to acrylic bond, I would remove the silicone and use an acrylic solvent. Weldon #16 would work very well. Best of all, like superglue, it will be completely inert and aquarium safe.

IPS Weld-On 16 Cement: TAP Plastics

tried finding that at hardware store if they had it no one new where i was they kept saying i don't think we carry that useless people... anyways im on a budget im sure its only 5-10 bucks a tube but that's a cab to work for me i don't need the bond to be strong

checked that link i wonder if model glue is similar

Ok, so here's the thing with curing times. Aquarium safe silicone should cure within 48 hours at optimal temperature and humidity. But who actually lives in optimal temperature and humidity, especially for 48 hours straight?
As the silicone cures, it forms acetic acid (vinegar) which is what you're smelling. Bottom line is that if you can smell it, the reaction is still taking place and it is not cured.
That being said, the quantity being produced is probably negligible for a mature tank, but I'm of the "better safe than sorry" school of thought.
Rick is right though. Silicone isn't the best choice for this. From the picture, I'd actually recommend something even cheaper that you can find anywhere. Superglue! Cyanoacrylate (active ingredient in superglue) is aquarium safe. It can even be used underwater, as it does not produce any noxious chemicals while curing.

aqua rick is right on the money with the weld-on #16 you can find it on ebay it works great and will never come apart. I've used it on many projects made protein skimmer, wet dry filter, reactor all using weld on

Back
Top Bottom