Silly clown question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 4 f. percs. in my tank and two of them are swimming side by side, and they hover horizontaly and kinda shimmy (looks like a cold water shake?). They don't fight, all my fish seem to be happy I was just wondering what was up with them? :?

I have a pair they do the same thing. Sometimes the biggerone, which i think is the famale of the two pushes the littler one around and the little one will shake like that to.

Dewey

I think they my be sexin!! :wink:
Or perhaps showing who's more dominant or flirting.....

clown is a protandric hermaphrodite, meaning that females result from changing sex from male to female. they will become femail depending on who is in the neghborhood, ie another dominate mail. i guess this is to ensure that there will allways be a viable mating population no mater what happens in the wild. isn't nature amazing? not sure what the shakin is all about, may be part of the sexing process.. femail will be the largest one.

My male clown will do the same thing when he is getting pushed around by the female....I'm prettgy sure he is just letting her know she is the boss.

I have three clowns and have seen them all do the same thing every once in a while..I know shouldn't have three, but have had them for 5 months now and they seem to get along great.

Steve

Showing dominance and determining a pair.

46 gal bow front sw, penguin 330, Skilter 250, 4 Blue Damsels, 4 Yellow Tail Damsels, 2 4-stripe damsels, 2 Bluefin Damsles, 4 Percula Clowns, 3 Condy Anemones.

As all these fish come into adulthood, I fear you may be entering some extreme aggression. You are essentially keeping 16 damsels in a 46g tank....not much room for territory and damselfish are some of the most aggressive fish around.

I know, I've tried to catch the 2 striped and the 2 yellow damsels but those buggers are quick. I know I have to many fish in there, I had the 4 clowns and the 4 damsels and my wife decided she wanted the 4 yellow tails, the 2 black stripes and the 2 yellow ones. What's a guy to do. Guess I'll be setting up the 30 gal I just got as a sw tank (is she ever going to kill me), just gotta figure out where to put it. :roll: Tell me is there an easy way to catch those fish? My lfs said he would take them back but I gotta catch them myself (the nerve of some people) :roll: Just kidding. But seriously, any pointers to try and catch them?

I caught my wife with a diamond ring.. worked pretty well.. ohh you ment the fish.. well I know the diamon earings I got her for xmas bought me a lot of leway on the new sump/fuge project :D

fish trap should work for the fish.. or try to net them when they are feeding.. they get distracted by the chow..

Back
Top Bottom