Silly hydrometer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltyrenee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We recently purchased the Coralife deep six hydrometer. On the package it says the you should season the needle for 24 hours in water. What it does not say is what kind of water to use. Fresh or salt?

If the answer is salt then what do you do in a new startup tank that you don't know if the salinity is not correct?

I used FW for mine, and to be honest....I've used them without seasoning them at all. When you first fill it up, there are going to be air bubbles sticking to it everywhere, tap them off and let it sit.

I assumed FW. I don't know how you could season it with saltwater assuming the each persons water would have a slightly different salinity. I really wish they would have made it clear on the package. The reason this is coming up: I read a review this morning on eopinon.com and they mentioned using saltwater to season the needle.

I did not season mine, I used it from the get go. I have had my water tested at the LFS and the same results were made so, I wonder why you would have to season it at all?

I Noticed that too...Salty Renee... I am using freswater to season mine... 3 hours, 20 minutes and... 23,24,25 Seconds to go... :roll:

I never seasoned the one I have. Didn't read the instructions :oops: . It agrees with one of the Seatest hydrometers I have so I guess it's OK.
Logan J

I did not season mine either. However I did take it to the LFS and have them compare it to there high dollar tester to see how accurate it was. It wasnt accurate but pretty close.

I have, after checking several different hydrometers with the same water sample, come to the conclusion that pretty close is as good as it's going to get with them. A refractometer is high on my list of "gotta haves". If you can have your hydrometer checked against a refractometer or an electronic salinity tester, that will give you an idea how much it's off and you can correct for the difference.
Logan J

refractometer, can someone explain what this is vs. a hydrometer?
Where can you get one? and Do I need one?

A refractometer is a much more accurate testing device for salinity. I really don't know exactly how it works. I could speculate but I'd rather not here. They cost from $60-$120 and most online dealers who have a lot of reef stuff will carry them. Do you need one? Probably not. Unless you're really going to get into this in a big way, I'd probably stick with the hydrometer for now. JMHO.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom